• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife not sure and cannot prove she is a US citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? NJ

Ex-wife was brought into the US as a baby, Italian-born, in Newark NJ in 1960, lifelong NJ resident. We married in 1981 and divorced in 1995. We have her Italian passport showing entry into the US in 1960, we have both her adoptive (?) parents's US birth certificates, we have our own marriage license and divorce decree and joint past-year tax returns, we have her baptism record. What we DON'T have are her Italian birth certificate (if it exists), her adoption papers (if they exist), a green card, or any other proof of citizenship. Both her adoptive (?) parents are deceased and no other relatives. I'm a US citizen and so our our three kids (2 adult, 1 minor). She has a SS# but no actual SS card and can't get a copy (insufficient ID). New NJ laws require proper ID (which she doesn't have) to renew her now-expired drivers's license. We believe but cannot prove she was adopted. Must she have been adopted at some point in order to get a SS#, attend local schools, etc.? If so can we get a copy of her adoption papers somehow? Otherwise what are our options and what can we do to establish her citizenship?


Senior Member
She may have to do a request for those documents through FOIA (freedom of information act) request, and it may take some time. Try to gather all the pertinent documentation and information as far as exact names, dates of birth, dates of arrival, etc.

Immigration Attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential