• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-wife taking money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carrick1

my state is South Dakota, my question is what protection do I have to keep an ex-wife from taking funds from accounts, or putting liens on vehicles, if she has not legal rights to do so. Also these account are of a joint nature, and should they not be protected differently

carrick1

ex wife taking money

no her name is not on the accts. the accts. are in my name and my girlfriend name only.

Debt Guy

If her name is not on the accounts, then she cannot touch the money.

If her name is not on the vehicle title, she cannot use it as collateral for a loan.

carrick1

ex wife taking money

can she put some type of lien on the vehicles in question to tie them up at a future date. also she has already taken monies from the joint acct with some type of levy.

bdancer

Does she have some kind of judgment against you? Something court ordered? If so, she can go after your assets.

Ladynred

Yah.. really.

If the ex has sued and won a judgment against you, then the bank levy is legal and there's not a whole lot you can do about it except try to appeal it. You DO have that right. However, if you did nothing when you were served the summons for her lawsuit, then its your own fault for ignoring it - if you did.

If you were not aware of a lawsuit, then you need to hightail it down to the courthouse and get a copy of the judgment case file and find out exactly what happened with the Summons and the whole lawsuit.

With a judgment against you, ANY property with YOUR name on it is vulnerable to siezure and liens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">