• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wife was pregnant from another man

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greenbayhawk

What is the name of your state? Michigan
So the divorce has been done for almost a year now. However, my ex wife two months after I filled for a divorce (and we were separated) became pregnant from another man. In court during our hearing she told the judge and I said I am not the father and we were separated at the time of conception so no criminal charges were sought-after. After the child was born the state would not let her put the dad's name on the birth certificate for she was married at the time of conception. They told her either put my name on it or go to court. Thankfully she chose court. My question is this.... She received a letter for her court date and in the letter it asks for her to bring a PICTURE of me. Nothing else. Has anyone heard of this? Or know exactly why? Tyvm on advance!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Michigan
So the divorce has been done for almost a year now. However, my ex wife two months after I filled for a divorce (and we were separated) became pregnant from another man. In court during our hearing she told the judge and I said I am not the father and we were separated at the time of conception so no criminal charges were sought-after.

Why would you think that any criminal charges would ever be sought after in that kind of scenario?

After the child was born the state would not let her put the dad's name on the birth certificate for she was married at the time of conception. They told her either put my name on it or go to court. Thankfully she chose court.
You are lucky they didn't force her to put your name on the BC.

My question is this.... She received a letter for her court date and in the letter it asks for her to bring a PICTURE of me. Nothing else. Has anyone heard of this? Or know exactly why? Tyvm on advance!
That makes no sense to me at all. I have never heard of anything like that.

Greenbayhawk

Why would you think that any criminal charges would ever be sought after in that kind of scenario?

You are lucky they didn't force her to put your name on the BC.

That makes no sense to me at all. I have never heard of anything like that.
I got it all figured out thanks!
The charges Because Michigan is an no adultery state.(more so for custody rights for the child we had together/left that out).

They didn't force her because the child was born after the finalization of the divorce.

And as to the picture? The court said it was in case they needed to serve me papers for paternity test reasons because the ex wife put the wrong name on child support papers.

Greenbayhawk

The charges Because Michigan is an no adultery state.(more so for custody rights for the child we had together/left that out).

They didn't force her because the child was born after the finalization of the divorce.

And as to the picture? The court said it was in case they needed to serve me papers for paternity test reasons because the ex wife put the wrong name on child support papers.
Which is still odd because they have my DL on file. Must be standard procedure.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm willing to bet it's a form letter...sort of a "one size fits all" form.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Adultery is not a prosecutable crime anymore.

HRZ

My lay read is that Michigan assumes the child is your child if it was conceived or born at a time you were married to Mom....now I could well be wrong ..but in your shoes I'd be darn sure that my paternity was clearly disestablished by a relevant order lest I be on the hook for expenses out of the blue ...you were married to her at time of conception and the disestablishment order does not appear yet final.

LdiJ

Please understand that adultery does not result in criminal prosecution in any state anymore. She was not charged with a crime because she did not commit one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">