• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Georgia and my ex-wife in Indiana and here is my problem. Before we divorced I co-signed a loan for her to lease a car. We didn't make arrangements for it in the divorce decree but she verbally said she would pay for it.

Now I have been informed that she is almost three months late on the payments and has turned the car in to the leaseholder who now wants me to pay or have my wages garnished.

What are my options to avoid having my wages garnished and to not be held responsible for this debt?



Senior Member
Based on your message, NONE.

You co-signed for the loan to guarantee payment to the lender in case the 'other party' breached that agreement.
They breached. The lender now expects (and will force) you to step forward and do what you agreed to do... pay for the car.

Your only recourse is to request an accounting of the costs and, after verifying its accuracy, making arrangements to pay the lender.

Then, you can consider taking legal action against the 'ex' for the damages (costs) that her breach caused you to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential