• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wife’s access to my home.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JhonWilliam

I wonder if anyone can advise? My ex left me to marry the priest who married us (you couldn’t make it up). We had mediation back in the day, with agreement not to claim for either’s assets. My son ended up quite quickly living with me full time and will soon be eighteen. I’ve always agreed that she come round every day after work to see our son but cannot stand her. She was violent and abusive, extremely angry, and was gallivanting when my father passed away, meaning I could not be with him at the end, which was heartbreaking.

I don’t want her round any more, she just comes and sits on her phone and knows all of our business. She acts like she still lives there, often has a nap on the sofa and has even used the toilet to do ‘number 2s’. She is horrible and I can’t bear to see her any more.

My son has recognised her traits and anger himself, having had a fair few run ins himself with her, and hasn’t wanted to go round her house for the last few years. I have never prevented her access and never slagged her off to my son.

She’ll flare up if I stop her, I’m not sure of my rights and, in all honesty, am frightened of another round of lies to whomever will listen to her which, back in the day, included that I was violent, coercive and sexually intimidating, none of which is what I am about.

Any advice or insight would be very welcome, thank you.

LdiJ

I wonder if anyone can advise? My ex left me to marry the priest who married us (you couldn’t make it up). We had mediation back in the day, with agreement not to claim for either’s assets. My son ended up quite quickly living with me full time and will soon be eighteen. I’ve always agreed that she come round every day after work to see our son but cannot stand her. She was violent and abusive, extremely angry, and was gallivanting when my father passed away, meaning I could not be with him at the end, which was heartbreaking.

I don’t want her round any more, she just comes and sits on her phone and knows all of our business. She acts like she still lives there, often has a nap on the sofa and has even used the toilet to do ‘number 2s’. She is horrible and I can’t bear to see her any more.

My son has recognised her traits and anger himself, having had a fair few run ins himself with her, and hasn’t wanted to go round her house for the last few years. I have never prevented her access and never slagged her off to my son.

She’ll flare up if I stop her, I’m not sure of my rights and, in all honesty, am frightened of another round of lies to whomever will listen to her which, back in the day, included that I was violent, coercive and sexually intimidating, none of which is what I am about.

This forum is for US law. What US state are you in? The laws vary from state to state. Otherwise, about the only advice that I can give you is that once your son becomes a legal adult he will no longer be subject to any custody orders and therefore you will not be subject to any either.

Just Blue

What state?

commentator

Without even making any legal suggestions, or knowing whiat country you're in. I would suggest you get some counseling for yourself. You do not need any legal help to tell the woman she cannot come in your home, and you are changing the locks. And do it! If she shows up, tries to break in, throws a tantrum, call the authorities. And there is no legal recourse to stop a crazy person acting crazy or a mean person being mean. If you are terribly concerned with her lying about you to friends, if they'll be believed, you need new friends. I do not see a legal question, just someone who needs to man up. This is a violation of both you and your son, he deserves better even if you don't think you do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yeah, I have to agree - time to stand up for yourself. You're allowed to change the locks to your home, set some boundaries, etc.

As for not being able to be with your Dad at the end... babysitter. That one's on you, dude. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">