• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex won't accept certified mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas

My ex won't pick up any certified mail - I have given him a couple of emails and actual hard copies of dr's bills for months now and even a self addressed stamped envelope for him to mail me a check, which in person he claims he will do...

Now I just picked up his certified letter with the dates he wants our son for summer vacation. I have sent him a certified letter with my weekends I'll be taking and what dates I would like for summer, but I know already he won't pick it up or sign for it. I emailed it to him as well and I will give him a hard copy, but can he somehow say he never got them and NOT bring son for my weekends? (of course I know you can't say for sure, but do people actually pull this stunt and if so, what can I do to nip it in the bud)

Our papers say I have to notify him by April 15th, if I have done those three things, certified, email, and in person handing it to him, am I covered?

He is now claiming he never got the dr's bills within thirty days.....I'm just afraid he is going to pull the same thing with summer visits.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Whyte Noise

When you send a letter certified mail, also send another one regular first class mail with Delivery Confirmation.

When the postman delivers the mail to his box, a note of the day and time it was delivered will be made. When you pay for the Delivery Confirmation service at the post office, you will get a little green receipt with a tracking number on it, just like you do for CRRR. You can go online to the USPS website, enter that tracking number and print off exactly when it was delivered and in what city and state. You will also receive a confirmation notice in the mail from the post office.

So... even if he refuses the certified copy (and claims he never got those bills) you will have the delivery confirmation information to show that he did receive the same information via regular, first class mail.

Mail both letters at the same time. Keep the returned, unopened CRRR letter that is returned along with your delivery confirmation receipt and together, there's your proof he was indeed notified.

Litigation!

Whyte Noise said:
When you send a letter certified mail, also send another one regular first class mail with Delivery Confirmation.

When the postman delivers the mail to his box, a note of the day and time it was delivered will be made. When you pay for the Delivery Confirmation service at the post office, you will get a little green receipt with a tracking number on it, just like you do for CRRR. You can go online to the USPS website, enter that tracking number and print off exactly when it was delivered and in what city and state. You will also receive a confirmation notice in the mail from the post office.

So... even if he refuses the certified copy (and claims he never got those bills) you will have the delivery confirmation information to show that he did receive the same information via regular, first class mail.

Mail both letters at the same time. Keep the returned, unopened CRRR letter that is returned along with your delivery confirmation receipt and together, there's your proof he was indeed notified.

My response:

Excellent response. Now, all our writer needs to do is file a Petition for "Contempt of Court." The idiot will also be required to pay our writer's attorney's fees and court costs. If that isn't done, it's off to jail he goes!

Don't play games, writer. Take action. Don't put up with the bull crap. Make sure he knows you won't.

IAAL

ceara19

It also won't hurt to send a copy of everything you send to him, to the district or county clerk where your custody agreement is filed at the same time you send his copies. That way if he tries to claim that, YES, he did get a letter from you in the mail, but it wasn't what you are claiming, you'll have even MORE reason for the judge to believe YOUR side of the story.

ceara19

bonkers101 said:
GREAT advice! thank you so much. :)
Your welcome. I know it helped me when I went back to court with the ex. Everything I ever tried to send him was returned because he didn't leave a forwarding address. He didn't have much of an excuse when I gave the judge all of the unopened returned mail not only from me, but also the returned mail that the district clerk tried to send him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">