• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex won't help with medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fretto

What is the name of your state? Florida
I am divorced to my ex-wife for almost a year. The judge ordered me to pay 60% for the kids medical bills and her 40%. I pay her alimony and child support weekly. Although the judge ordered our kids medical coverage expenses, she refuses to pay for any of it. Can I legally pull that money out of her alimony?

justalayman

No.. they are separate issues. However, you can either go to the court that issued the order and ask them to enforce their order or if you pay the other parties share of the bill, send a dunning letter and if not paid, sue her

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida
I am divorced to my ex-wife for almost a year. The judge ordered me to pay 60% for the kids medical bills and her 40%. I pay her alimony and child support weekly. Although the judge ordered our kids medical coverage expenses, she refuses to pay for any of it. Can I legally pull that money out of her alimony?
Normally medical insurance is NOT one of the things that the parents share 60/40 (the percentages in your case). The 60/40 applies to medical bills not covered by insurance. Whomever pays health insurance gets a credit in the child support calculation.

If you google for the online Florida Child Support Calculator you will see that health insurance (as well as childcare expenses) are built into the calculation.

Now, if I misunderstood you are you are talking about medical expenses not covered by insurance, rather than insurance, then no, your solution isn't to unilaterally deduct it from her alimony. Your solution is to take her back to court for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">