• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex_stepparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? North Carolina, I would like to adopt a child, with the consent of the mother, that resides in another state. The mother and I are divorced now and I do not wish to terminate her rights. The biological fathers' rights are terminated. How do I go about doing this and what is this procedure called? Can I do this from North Carolina or do I need to go to the state where the child resides?



You can do the adoption in your state.

However, I think you are confused about something.

You say you want to adopt the child but then you also say you don't want to take away the rights of bio mom.

That is simply impossible to do both at the same time.

In an adoption, the bio parent's rights to the child are automatically severed. That means that the bio parent has no more rights to the child than I do.

If you don't want to permanently sever the parent's rights, you might want to consider a guardianship instead.

A guardianship gives you all the powers and rights over the child but can be dissolved at some future date if need be.

Hope this information helps!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential