• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Example(s) of Dot Com Liability Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chris Meyer

I am starting a dot.com company. I live in WA State. I'm guessing I will need to put all things into motion as if I were starting any other kind of buisness, i.e. Business license, EIN # etc. Is this correct?

This compay will be a service that provides bulk email services to a target group - this will be a free service.

I will make money through an e-mall and advertising.

To help me understand the kind of insurance I may need, can you give me an example of a potential liability problem I might run into where the service I provide is free and my income is based on folks wanting to advertise with me?

Thank you for your time.

Chris

T

Tracey

You'll have to file a UBI application and register a business name. Cost $20 a couple years ago.

The main exposures I see are: anti-spam laws (WA has some draconian anti-spam laws that may or may not be enforceable.), the contents of the emails (if you censor them), and clogging up bandwidth. You also have to be able to deliver the service you promise.

Who's gonna advertise on your site? Few people I know go to sites that advertise bulk emailing services. Probably better to charge for the service.

PS: Don't you dare send me anything! ;)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited June 01, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">