• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excessive Emergency Room Doctor Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverplum

That the bill seems excessive to me considering the knowledge required to treat my (admittedly severe) condition is "common" enough that in my opinion does not require 10 years of medical education, sure developing the medications to treat cost a bundle, but I'm sure those people were well taken care of. But regardless, there seems to be a majority that actually this bill is low compared to what it could have been, its the system we live under and I'll accept that.
You have lots of opinions.

Neelix

You don't get to choose who replies, nor whether their handle is pretty enough. :rolleyes:

You were answered by a licensed attorney. Guess which responder is the attorney? You only get one guess. ;)
Well of course I don't, its an open forum.

As far as a licensed attorney goes, its nice to have an answer from one on a "legal advice forum", in fact its preferable :) but even so, being a lawyer doesn't necessarily make something they say gospel, lawyers disagree on how laws should be interpreted all the time, thats kinda why we have them in the first place.

Neelix

You have lots of opinions.
I do. And 618 may not be a lot for a medical bill, perhaps you have a higher income than I do. How would you feel if you received a bill that completely crushes your finances? 618 isn't a lot to some people, to me its devastating, so sorry if I'm a little bit upset, opinionated, prickish in particular when someone comes across with sarcasm acting as though my bill is an arbitrary amount. See it from my perspective, I scrape by, paycheck to paycheck and unlike many others I've known, not because I splurge on stuff with credit.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That the bill seems excessive to me considering the knowledge required to treat my (admittedly severe) condition is "common" enough that in my opinion does not require 10 years of medical education
How would one know that for sure? Oh yeah, 10 years of medical school. :rolleyes:

Neelix

Most accurate post on this entire thread.

And deserving some real help:
Under the debt collection forum, see my sticky on negotiation.
You want to talk to the accounts manager. Be prepared to prove your financial condition. Almost every ER/medical provider will make payment arrangements. Make one you know you can stick with.

Back when I was a debt collector, I set a person up on a $25 a month payment plan on a $12,000 hospital debt. That lady showed everything we asked for and helped me justify the payment arrangement with the client.

DC
Thank you, I definitely will do that.

Proserpina

Thank you, I will do that. Sorry, saw the name "DebtCollector" and then read the response, seemed like about the kind of insensitive and disrespectful response I would get from someone in such a "profession". I guess the thread can be closed, thanks for the responses and insight.

I shall share the average cost of an ER visit, by department. All of these are after a (generally heavy) discount.

Ambulance ride to hospital: $720 without treatment, add more for IV placement, and even more for measures taken to keep/make the patient stable.

ER visit: $1700, plus however many tests you are given.

Overnight stay at hospital, room only: $650

Daily care/treatment: you don't even want to know.

I have pretty fantastic insurance, too.

Neelix

Okay, you really need to get out more.

Everyone: I shall share the average cost of an ER visit, by department. All of these are after a (generally heavy) discount.

Ambulance ride to hospital: $720 without treatment, add more for IV placement, and even more for measures taken to keep/make the patient stable.

ER visit: $1700, plus however many tests you are given.

Overnight stay at hospital, room only: $650

Daily care/treatment: you don't even want to know.

I have pretty fantastic insurance, too.
I get all that, but things are expensive. Hospitals have a reputation of padding bills and negotiating with insurance companies when they say "BS that bar of soap doesn't really cost 10 dollars". Is that really a fact in dispute? As I said, I was curious about my specific situation, but I think this thread has run its course and I've gotten all the usable information I can in regards to my specific situation from this forum. Thank you all, and now request a moderator to close the thread at their leisure.

Neelix

Just as a followup, I guess because I'm a glutton for punishment if nothing else, also because I'm on leave from work. My condition never fully improved, I know that bronchitis takes awhile to get over, so I chalked up my occasional bouts of shortness of breath to that. However, over the past week my breathing again became more and more labored, on Friday the difficulty breathing and chest pains were identical to the severity I had the night I went to the Emergency Room. This time I went to an Urgent Care facility, again, albuterol treatment, prednisone, I told the doctor who saw me (who was far more professional) that I had visited the ER for the same thing a month prior and was given doxycycline. He stated that I should have never been put on that antibiotic, its not for respiratory infections and that is probably in his medical opinion why I'm once again seeking medical treatment for the same illness. He also unlike the ER doctor ran a chest X-ray, which revealed evidence of pneumonia.

A further note regarding the doxycycline which I left out in the first post to keep it as brief as possible. I was initially prescribed zithromax, however when I attempted to fill it at walmart I was told it woudl cost me 100 dollars, which I didn't have, I called the hospital and informed them of this and an unknown doctor changed the prescription to doxcycline and I was told it was a viable alternative for my condition.

The doctor at the Urgent Care gave me a prescription for the antibiotic levaquin, which cost me 15 dollars to fill, and referred me to his primary practice.

This second doctor visit cost me about $150, vs the $900 ER bill, and this feels to me like a malpractice issue with the ER doctor. I doubt I'll get any agreeing responses here, but I'll ask anyway, like I said, due to my prolonged illness I have the spare time.

I know at least one of you said something about working in medical billing, is this really standard procedure, charge the patient with no insurance as much as you can, do minimal work and send them on their way? Because this sounds to me like the guy in the news who was sent home with no testing done turned out he had Ebola.

State of West Virginia.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum or not, but about 4 weeks ago I had been ill for about a week and a half, getting progressively worse. I was having trouble breathing, coughing, flu-like symptoms and fever. I do not have medical insurance and I had not visited a doctor in years. However, due to the trouble breathing issue being extremely severe, I realized I had no alternative but to seek medical treatment, I drove myself to the emergency room at Berkley County Medical Center. I explained to them I was having trouble breathing, I was asked to sign a consent to treatment, which I signed.

I was examined by a nurse and/or CNA, and I interacted with a doctor for a grand total of about 5 minutes. My entire emergency room visit probably lasted about 35 minutes total. During that time, I had my lungs listened to by a stethoscope, I was given 100mg of Prednisone, a Zithromax pill and an Albuterol nebulizer treatment. I was also given a prescription for Zithromax (antibiotic) 5 days worth of prednisone for a "steroid burst" and diagnosed with Bronchitis and pleurisy. After the initial conversation with a doctor, I was informed that I would be discharged as a side note, the doctor never did come back to check to see if I was breathing correctly or not, I was discharged. Honestly, I did not feel that my breathing was stable enough to be sent out the door so quickly, however I left without protest.

I'm conflicted in regards to the billing, because I honestly was afraid I was going to die that night, so I am relieved I received treatment. Last week I received a bill from the hospital for 286 dollars and some change. I figured, "hey thats not as bad as I thought it would be!", but the bill said, I may qualify for a discount if I call. So I did, they told me if I pay in 30 days, that bill gets cut in half. I'm thinking awesome! Paid it.. Today, received another medical bill for this same emergency room visit for 618 dollars! I called the number on this bill and was told that the billing was separate that the hospital assesses a fee and so does the doctor who treated me. I told the lady I spoke with that there was no way I was going to pay this much money, number one, I cannot afford it number 2, thats absolutely insane for the amount of "work" the doctor had to perform.

I'm 29 years old, I have a nice rental home, I'm single, no children, work to support myself, I pay a student loan, I live on a fixed income. I applied for a medical card through the state of WV and was told my income was too high, nor can I afford the insurance offered by my employer what with my other bills. I'm in a limbo and uninsured.

My question (I guess a question), is such an excessive fee legal? Since I'm generally a healthy person, this is not something I've had to deal with, I don't even know where to begin looking for a way to reduce this charge, dispute it legitimacy, etc. The lady I spoke with on the phone pretty much told me its not negotiable, pay it or take a hit on my credit. I had found on google class action suits for emergency room overcharges against uninsured people, I'm not looking to sue anybody, like I said, I have a feeling of gratitude for this doctor rendering me able to breathe, but is that really worth that much money? Any help/suggestions/guidance on steps to take would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
You can afford a "nice rental home" but cant afford to pay the hospital bill? Whats wrong with this picture?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You could have saved yourself more $$ by using your Mom's old nebulizer and scamming meds from the "asthmatics" that you know. You'd find out soon enough if the meds were right.

ETA: Did you stay at Holiday Inn Express last night?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's only your opinion that the fees you are being charged are excessive. They are, in fact, rather on the low side.

YES, such fees are legal.

ajkroy

The reality is is that you are uninsured by choice. You know that you take a risk every month that you go uninsured that something big could come up (tumor, heart attack, etc). You should be putting SOME money away every month for these expenses, because you will eventually be sick and require a doctor. The fact that your ER bill is less than half of the average family plan monthly premium doesn't seem to phase you at all. Why do you think health insurance is such a polarizing issue?

You willingly chose to go to the ER. You didn't die. They deserve to be paid for the treatment.

Ladyback1

Just as a followup, I guess because I'm a glutton for punishment if nothing else, also because I'm on leave from work. My condition never fully improved, I know that bronchitis takes awhile to get over, so I chalked up my occasional bouts of shortness of breath to that. However, over the past week my breathing again became more and more labored, on Friday the difficulty breathing and chest pains were identical to the severity I had the night I went to the Emergency Room. This time I went to an Urgent Care facility, again, albuterol treatment, prednisone, I told the doctor who saw me (who was far more professional) that I had visited the ER for the same thing a month prior and was given doxycycline. He stated that I should have never been put on that antibiotic, its not for respiratory infections and that is probably in his medical opinion why I'm once again seeking medical treatment for the same illness. He also unlike the ER doctor ran a chest X-ray, which revealed evidence of pneumonia.

A further note regarding the doxycycline which I left out in the first post to keep it as brief as possible. I was initially prescribed zithromax, however when I attempted to fill it at walmart I was told it woudl cost me 100 dollars, which I didn't have, I called the hospital and informed them of this and an unknown doctor changed the prescription to doxcycline and I was told it was a viable alternative for my condition.

The doctor at the Urgent Care gave me a prescription for the antibiotic levaquin, which cost me 15 dollars to fill, and referred me to his primary practice.

This second doctor visit cost me about $150, vs the $900 ER bill, and this feels to me like a malpractice issue with the ER doctor. I doubt I'll get any agreeing responses here, but I'll ask anyway, like I said, due to my prolonged illness I have the spare time.

I know at least one of you said something about working in medical billing, is this really standard procedure, charge the patient with no insurance as much as you can, do minimal work and send them on their way? Because this sounds to me like the guy in the news who was sent home with no testing done turned out he had Ebola.
Doxycycline is used to treat bacterial infections, including pneumonia and other respiratory tract infections; Lyme disease; acne; infections of skin, genital, and urinary systems; and anthrax (after inhalational exposure). It is also used to prevent malaria. Doxycycline is in a class of medications called tetracycline antibiotics. It works by preventing the growth and spread of bacteria. Antibiotics will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections.
(source: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682063.html)

So....

Most medical professionals/providers who are able to prescribe meds, have their own personal preferences as to what antibiotics they prescribe (there's very few hard and fast rules, you know, regarding which antibiotics are useful).

Basically? You have no basis, based on what you have posted, for a malpractice suit. Further, of course the ER is more expensive! I wish to the Lord Almighty, people would realize that, and not whine because they have to pay for an ER visit.

Just Blue

I do. And 618 may not be a lot for a medical bill, perhaps you have a higher income than I do. How would you feel if you received a bill that completely crushes your finances? 618 isn't a lot to some people, to me its devastating, so sorry if I'm a little bit upset, opinionated, prickish in particular when someone comes across with sarcasm acting as though my bill is an arbitrary amount. See it from my perspective, I scrape by, paycheck to paycheck and unlike many others I've known, not because I splurge on stuff with credit.
The fact is YOU went to the ER. You could have gone to a GP. Had you, the bill may have been around $150.00. But you did not CHOOSE to do that. That is on you.

The cost of an ER visit is much higher than a PCP.

And the cost of the advice on this forum is much less that an attorney in your area. Again...You are making a choice. Deal.:rolleyes:

Just Blue

Is fruitcake your last name?????????:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">