• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exec forced to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

april291

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

One of the execs at my company pulled me into a meeting regarding the President of the company. Previously, the President has been battling strep throat and a series of colds back to back and a new baby in the house. Everyone can see...he just needs to take it easy and get a good rest.

This exec informed me that he wants to put into effect a mandatory 2 week health retreat so he can recover fully WITHOUT affecting his PTO amount.
Is this fair and legal?

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

I don't get it.

PTO is company policy. If they want to waive policy for an employee to allow him paid time off without taping into that employees 'banked' time, that is perfectly fine

Doesn't matter if the employee is a janitor or the head of the show.

Beth3

I don't get it either. The sick employee is the PRESIDENT of the company. The BOD, CEO, etc. can give him as much time off with pay as they want to. Of course the company can give him two paid weeks off for R&R to recuperate if they wish to. Yes it's legal and IMHO, it's more than fair. Chance are the company President works harder than anybody else there. At the very least, he carries more worries and stress than anybody else.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether it is fair or not is irrelevant. It's a matter of opinion, but it's not relevant either way.

All that matters, is whether or not it is legal. And it is. The law does not give two hoots whether it is fair or not.

april291

Thanks...Just wanted to be sure we weren't violating any rules/regulations.

So essentially PTO is at the discretion of the company. Paid, unpaid, whatever... Got it!

eerelations

Although I think if the company wanted to give unpaid time off and for some crazy reason wanted to call the upaid time off "Paid Time Off" that would probably be legal too. :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a set of circumstances under which it would be illegal to require paid time off. I can think of circumstances under which it would be illegal to require unpaid time off, but as long as you pay for the time, I can't think of a regulatory agency that would care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">