• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executing a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amchandl

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

There are 3 executors of my father's will, me and my 2 brothers. What is the procedure for executing the will? Our attorney says that it has to sit for 3 months, but then what?

seniorjudge

amchandl said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

There are 3 executors of my father's will, me and my 2 brothers. What is the procedure for executing the will? Our attorney says that it has to sit for 3 months, but then what?
After the time period for paying off all creditors, lawyers fees, court costs, etc., then everything that is left over will be distributed to the heirs.

amchandl

Executing the will

There was a loan owned by my father-in-law and his son as co-borrower. Will the estate be responsible for the loan, or will it default to the co-borrower?

seniorjudge

amchandl said:
There was a loan owned by my father-in-law and his son as co-borrower. Will the estate be responsible for the loan, or will it default to the co-borrower?
Probably son (depends on how it is written). If son doesn't pay the bill, then the lender will sell the place at the courthouse steps.

amchandl

?

Will the co-borrower, if responsible, have to pay off the entire loan, or just take over the payments? How can we tell whether or not the loan was written so that the co-borrower will have to take the loan over or not?

seniorjudge

Q: Will the co-borrower, if responsible, have to pay off the entire loan, or just take over the payments?

A: Same thing.

Q: How can we tell whether or not the loan was written so that the co-borrower will have to take the loan over or not?

A: Ask the lender. Also, whoever signed the promissory note is responsible for the payments. From everything you have posted, the "co-borrower" (the better term is borrower) is responsible for the payment. Otherwise, the land will get sold out from under the owner(s).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">