• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor duties and obligations (UK)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fight4Right

My ex-wife passed away last year and her will named co-executors, one of whom also has a nominal bequest.
This individual had been living with my ex for quite a number of years, without sharing the household finances or responsibilities other than for for day to day living, food and drink etc
The co-executors obtained probate and almost immediately the executor beneficiary commenced a campaign of disputing the validity and extent of his bequest. Totally influenced by his eldest son from a previous failed marriage he has commenced an attempt to claim a larger share than had been bequeathed to the extreme disadvantage of our son and daughter who are the principle inheritors.
My concerns are many but include the following;-
1, Having obtained probate has an executor the right to contest the terms of the will and prevent the terms of the will being honoured.
2, Does an executor have a legal duty and obligation to ensure within a reasonable time frame, fulfilment of the terms of the will.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Of course the executor beneficiary has a right to contest, but that doesn't mean his contesting will be successful.

What is your interest in this matter? If you are not named as a beneficiary in her will, you have no legal standing.

Just Blue

Of course the executor beneficiary has a right to contest, but that doesn't mean his contesting will be successful.

What is your interest in this matter? If you are not named as a beneficiary in her will, you have no legal standing.
DD...OP is in the United Kingdom.

HRZ

OP the folks at risk of losing anything need to be getting back up from a U.K. Solicitor PRONTO .

Were you to raise your questions in one of your former colonies chartered to Wm Penn, I might suggest :
1. It is a conflict of interest for executor to contest the very will he signed on to administer !

1.1 Common law spouse is now out of picture in my colony but no clue about issues in UK
1.2 Last I recall reading UK rights of quarantiene were covered in the Magna Carta and applied to the widow.
2. Absent a life estate or something similar granted to live in friend, the heirs are NUTS to remain inactive if the executor is camping out in estate property on the cheap.
3. Moving forward slowly on estate matters is rather common, by itself.
4.Where are the co executors in all this possible self dealing and role conflict?
5. Common sense law ...snooze and you lose ...your children need to be proactive like right now.

quincy

OP the folks at risk of losing anything need to be getting back up from a U.K. Solicitor PRONTO .

Were you to raise your questions in one of your former colonies chartered to Wm Penn, I might suggest :
1. It is a conflict of interest for executor to contest the very will he signed on to administer !

1.1 Common law spouse is now out of picture in my colony but no clue about issues in UK
1.2 Last I recall reading UK rights of quarantiene were covered in the Magna Carta and applied to the widow.
2. Absent a life estate or something similar granted to live in friend, the heirs are NUTS to remain inactive if the executor is camping out in estate property on the cheap.
3. Moving forward slowly on estate matters is rather common, by itself.
4.Where are the co executors in all this possible self dealing and role conflict?
5. Common sense law ...snooze and you lose ...your children need to be proactive like right now.
This forum handles U.S. law questions only.

The fact that you say you have "no clue about issues in the U.K." indicates that your post is not helpful to the U.K. poster.

Why you and Dan feel the need to provide answers to questions on issues about which you have no knowledge is beyond my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">