• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor of the account holder’s estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Norman2250

Your help is urgently needed! My son died. He constantly received royalties from the sale of music on one of the sites. I wrote them in support, they require here is that:
"Documentation showing that you have the right to control the account (e.g., because you're the executor of the account holder’s estate)."
Very much need examples of such documents (court decisions).
Maybe there is some form of documents? What exactly is the document giving the right to dispose of property? Urgently need examples.

California state.

Dandy Don

Did your son leave a last will and testament that is going to be probated at the county courthouse? What is the estimated value of his estate assets?

Whether he did or not, you can contact the county courthouse to get the paperwork to open up estate proceedings for his estate.

You need an idea of the value of his estate so that the type of probate filing can be determined. (Regular estate or smaller estate.)

Soon after filing the paperwork, you (or an attorney you hire to be executor) will receive a document called letters testamentary and it is a certified copy of that document that you will send to the music royalty site. The document shows that the designated person has legal authority to claim any monies due to the estate.

Norman2250

Did your son leave a last will and testament that is going to be probated at the county courthouse? What is the estimated value of his estate assets?

Whether he did or not, you can contact the county courthouse to get the paperwork to open up estate proceedings for his estate.

You need an idea of the value of his estate so that the type of probate filing can be determined. (Regular estate or smaller estate.)

Soon after filing the paperwork, you (or an attorney you hire to be executor) will receive a document called letters testamentary and it is a certified copy of that document that you will send to the music royalty site. The document shows that the designated person has legal authority to claim any monies due to the estate.
The amount of royalties less than 150 000$. For example, I'll send the judge an (affidavit) https://www.riverside.courts.ca.gov/localfrms/ri-pr012.pdf and took it to court. What do I get in return? Will they stamp and sign it and return it to me? Or will they give me another paper with the answer? What would she look like? It is very important for me to know how concrete examples will look, so that I can already assume what exactly will be the answer of the judge.
Throw off a link to any example of the final answer (photo) from Google please.

bcr229

Did your son have a Will?

Was your son married at the time of his death?

Did your son have any children?

justalayman

The amount of royalties less than 150 000$. For example, I'll send the judge an (affidavit) https://www.riverside.courts.ca.gov/localfrms/ri-pr012.pdf and took it to court. What do I get in return? Will they stamp and sign it and return it to me? Or will they give me another paper with the answer? What would she look like? It is very important for me to know how concrete examples will look, so that I can already assume what exactly will be the answer of the judge.
You will have to file to open probate if the entirety of his estate exceeds $150,000. The value of the contracts from which the royalties originate may cause the estate value to exceed the $150,000.

Once that is done, whomever is accepted as administrator of the estate will be provided the necessary proof of the appointment. Once that proof is obtained (the letters testamentary dandy don spoke of), you can provide a certified copy of the document to whomever is holding the royalties which would allow you to claim the money on behalf of the estate. You would then place those funds in the estate you open to hold estate funds as you proceed through the process of probate.

Since the royalties will continue to accrue, you should make arrangements for payment to be made to your sons estate rather than your son. The contracts that are the underlying source of the royalties are also part of your son’s estate and need to be dealt with in probate as well.

Especially important to the situation is whether the decedent had a spouse or children. That would remove you as the heir to his estate.

Last edited:

Eekamouse

It's beginning to sound like you're going to try to forge the documents required. You really think you'll be able to tell what your judge is going to answer in this case from seeing samples of the documents that courts have issued in similar cases?

Dandy Don

Your use of the language makes it seem as if you may be a foreigner or an immigrant--is that the case?

Please explain--for example, how much money in royalties did your son receive for 2019?

Will the royalties continue to be paid at that same rate in the future?

If you live in Riverside, California there is a self-help center there where you can get assistance with your probate case but you are required to make an appointment before you come. Appointments in Riverside are set up for nearly any Tuesday of the month and the next opening is for Tuesday, April 30, 2019. Contact them by email at [email protected] to schedule an appointment.

The person on duty will guide you with the preparation of your forms. Your situation seems to be somewhat simplified so that you may not even have to go to court. You should not be contacting a judge under any circumstances.

Another option is to contact Riverside Legal Aid at (951) 682-7968 to set up an appointment to meet at the Riverside Historic Courthouse, 4050 Main St., Riverside, CA or they accept walk-ins on the first and third Fridays of every month, starting at 8:30 AM (www.riversidelegalaid.org).

LdiJ

It's beginning to sound like you're going to try to forge the documents required. You really think you'll be able to tell what your judge is going to answer in this case from seeing samples of the documents that courts have issued in similar cases?
I think that is a little uncalled for...I see nothing in what the OP has posted that indicates that he intends to forge anything,..not even remotely.

Eekamouse

I think that is a little uncalled for...I see nothing in what the OP has posted that indicates that he intends to forge anything,..not even remotely.
I don't really care what you think, LdiJ. I think the odd, very specific request he's made does imply just that. We're both entitled to our own interpretations of why he'd be asking.

Norman2250

That is all right. Thank you for advice. What I was looking for was a de-150 form. I asked you to give a link to examples because I don't know exactly how it looks. Now know. And I know that there are other forms (DE-111, DE-121, DE-144 etc). But I most suitable option of DE-150. And Yes, I am of African descent, so my English is not so perfect. Because in recent years I have spent a lot of time at home.
http://acierta.us/letters-testamentary.html/ideas-of-letters-testamentary-in-proposal

justalayman

Nobody chose to point you in any particular direction because nobody has enough facts to do much pointing. All we know is your sons estate has some royalties due and the value is less than $150,000. We have no idea what other assets he has (other than the contracts he is receiving royalties from) or what his estate is worth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">