• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exempt employee vacation scheduling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M18ike

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

:confused: My employer schedules 5 day "shutdowns" for inventory and maintainence during July and December. Hourly employees are told they have to use there accrued vacation during those "shutdown" times. If they have more time accrued they are eligible to schedule the excess vacation at the discretion of management. In my exempt status I have 80 hours of vacation time right now. Can my employer make me take my vacation time during those "shutdown" periods also? This would leave me with no options!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. Your employer is not required to provide you with any paid vacation at all. It is up to them to determine how and when it is to be used.

The answer is the same, by the way, regardless of whether you are exempt or non-exempt. No Federal law and no law in Massachusetts (or any other state with limited exceptions in California) dictates to the employer how they utilize vacation benefits for any employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">