• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exempt employee vacation time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M18ike

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I am a salaried employee (Plant Manager) who has 3 weeks vacation as of January 1, 2009. My employer deceided to shut down the factory December 28, 2009 until January 4, 2010. He has told me I must use some of my vacation time during the shutdown. I want to use my 3 weeks to take time off from work when we are actually working not shutdown. Please advise!

pattytx

Obviously this is not the answer you're going to want to hear, but the employer has the legal right to control when employees take vacation. Now, you can ask the employer is you can take the time off without pay, as long as it would be a full workweek(s), but the employer is not required to agree. This would be true in every state, btw.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Coming to you straight from MA:

If your employer tells you that you have to use some of your vacation time during the shutdown, then you have to use some of your vacation time during the shutdown.

You can, as Patty suggests, request that the employer allow you to take the time unpaid, but it is 100% up to the employer whether to permit it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">