• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expected time to settle life insurance claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

francesw1942

What is the name of your state? MS-Our daughter died as a result of injuries from an automobile accident. She had taken out a life insurance policy in August 2003, had the accident Dec 25, 2003, died Jan 28, 2004., filed insurance claim 2/18/2004 and sent eveything required. I have heard nothing and her agent said it was being reviewed because of the time [less than 2 years]. Does this sound like a problem, or is 6 weeks normal in a case like this? Thanks.

JETX

"Does this sound like a problem, or is 6 weeks normal in a case like this?"
*** And what did the insurance company say when you asked them for the status and a date for settlement??

Dandy Don

Was this policy one that she purchased on her own or was it a group policy purchased by her employer?

What is the policy's face value?

What was the cause of the auto accident?

JETX

"Was this policy one that she purchased on her own or was it a group policy purchased by her employer?"
*** NOT relevent!!

"What is the policy's face value?"
*** NOT relevent!!

"What was the cause of the auto accident?"
*** Guess what?? Also, NOT relevent.

F

francesw1942

I have not talked to the insurance company, only her agent, who told me it was being reviewed. The policy amount is $50k with double indemnity and it was a group term policy offered under her employers cafeteria plan. The employer had offered a $25,000 policy along with their health plan up until August. They then changed health plans, and the new one did not have any other benefits, so they contracted with an independent agency to offer life, disability, dental and optical. I "suggested" to the agent that this was a replacement policy, because it replaced a policy that had been in effect over two years, but he said no it was not a replacement policy. The accident was a one car accident, negative drug screen, there have been at least two other accidents at the same place, however, hers was the only one that resulted in a fatality.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">