• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expedite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drea04

What is the name of your state? New mexico so my husband has a warrant from Colorado he is in custody in new Mexico will the expedite him

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? New mexico so my husband has a warrant from Colorado he is in custody in new Mexico will the expedite him
I'm sorry, but I don't believe that any of the advisors on this forum will have a say in that matter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I also need to point out that your question is will they extradite him (not expedite).

PayrollHRGuy

While we can't KNOW what the Colorado court/LE Agency will do, the chances of him being extradited increase along with the seriousness of the crime he is charged with.

Jaywalking probably no extradition. Murder there would certainly be extradition.

quincy

New Mexico can hold your husband in jail for up to 30 days (possibly longer if Colorado files for an extension) while waiting to hear from Colorado on what Colorado wants to do.

As said, the more serious the offense, the more likely your husband will be extradited. If Colorado has another serious offender in New Mexico who they will be transporting back to Colorado, Colorado also might decide to pick up your husband at the same time.

Whatever happens, the warrant will not go away until your husband returns to Colorado to take care of it. He can continue to be arrested and held in jail over and over again.

Drea04

His warrant is for probation violation and he got on probation for getting a false identity charge

quincy

His warrant is for probation violation and he got on probation for getting a false identity charge
Thank you for providing more information, Drea04.

What did your husband do to get the false identity charge/conviction?

Last edited:

quincy

Yes he didnt go to court
So ... your husband was arrested for and charged in Colorado with using a false identity. He is on probation in Colorado. And he failed to appear in court in Colorado.

Was this a deferred adjudication? A conviction?

How did he use the false identity (what led to the charge)?

The reason I ask is that using a false identity can be a misdemeanor or a felony. Your husband is not at all likely to be extradited on a misdemeanor where the penalty on the original charge is a fine up to $750 and jail up to six months (with probation more common than jail). But use of a false identity to commit id theft can be a fine up to $500,000 and jail time of two to six years. Extradition would be likely.

Whatever the case, because your husband is in jail for violating his probation and he might remain there for awhile while Colorado decides what to do with him, your husband should be speaking with an attorney. Even if he is not extradited, the warrant needs to be taken care of so he doesn't get arrested and jailed again.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Drea04

He got caught shoplifting and when cop ask his name he gave his brothers name so the cop notice on mugshot it wasn't him so they charge him for that then he went to court and they put him on probation so we had to come to new Mexico for family reasons and he never got his mail of saying he had

quincy

Thank you for providing more information.

Your husband should have an attorney help him handle the warrant in Colorado. He should never have left Colorado while on probation without authorization from his probation officer.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">