• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expert witness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oracle117

What is the name of your state? california

i have a personal doctor of 5 years, a neurologist, a pain management doctor, and physical therapist treating me. i have a personal injury case and am pro per.

are these doctors "expert witnesses?" "witnesses"?

do you pay expert witnesses? it seems like if you pay them, then it is like a bribe...give them money and they will say things in your favor? it seems unfair?

thanks for the help!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

oracle117 said:
What is the name of your state? california

i have a personal doctor of 5 years, a neurologist, a pain management doctor, and physical therapist treating me. i have a personal injury case and am pro per.

are these doctors "expert witnesses?" "witnesses"?

do you pay expert witnesses? it seems like if you pay them, then it is like a bribe...give them money and they will say things in your favor? it seems unfair?

thanks for the help!!

My response:

"Independent" experts must be subpoenaed. This will require payment of a witness fee and mileage (see Ca Civ Pro § 2020(f). In addition, an expert witness fee may have to be paid; see below.

A litigant may advance or guarantee payment to a witness of his or her expenses and "reasonable compensation for loss of time" in attending trial; and may pay a reasonable fee for the services of expert witnesses.

However, you shall not directly or indirectly, offer to pay, or acquiesce in the payment of compensation to a witness contingent upon the content of the witness's testimony or the outcome of the case.

Word to the wise - - you had better get to the law library and read the California Civil Discovery Act. Good luck, because you've got lots and lots of pages to read, and understand!

IAAL

stephenk

"do you pay expert witnesses? it seems like if you pay them, then it is like a bribe...give them money and they will say things in your favor? it seems unfair?"

so you believe that the expert witnesses should volunteer their time for your case? How do you think an expert witness earns a living? They are paid for providing their opinions, not always an opinion in your favor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">