• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired Judgement, Can I be sued again?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lawrence99

I live in California and have a judgement against me that expires in 3 months. The original contract was executed in Aug 2005, defaulted in May 2007 and default judgement was in Nov 2007. Abstract of judgement was in Jan 2008. Judgement has not been renewed so far. If this judgement expires, can I be sued for this again? Thanks in advance for your answer!

doucar

Can you, yes. Can you defend successfully on the basis of the statute of limitations, yes. Will they, I doubt it.

Kelco

I live in California and have a judgement against me that expires in 3 months. The original contract was executed in Aug 2005, defaulted in May 2007 and default judgement was in Nov 2007. Abstract of judgement was in Jan 2008. Judgement has not been renewed so far. If this judgement expires, can I be sued for this again? Thanks in advance for your answer!
Not if the statute of limitations for Debt has expired in your state.

quincy

Not if the statute of limitations for Debt has expired in your state.
There is already a judgment. The statute of limitations for debt collection no longer applies after a suit has been filed and a judgment issued.

The question after a judgment would be renewal of the judgment - not another lawsuit. The creditor cannot sue again over the same debt.

quincy

No, any one can sue for anything, but being successful is another matter.
Technically true, but that can confuse Lawrence. The goal should be to clarify the law for posters.

If the judgment is not renewed in a timely fashion and the judgment therefore expires, the creditor cannot attempt to sue for the same debt again.

If the creditor tries. Lawrence should speak to an attorney in his area about taking action against the creditor.

Kelco

A judgment can be renewed before it expires, over and over again, forever. But, it usually doesn't happen.

Kelco

In order to extend the time to collect on a judgment after 10 years, a creditor can file to renew a California judgment

PayrollHRGuy

No kidding Kelco. That isn't what Quincy was asking about. He was asking for evidence of your statement of " it usually doesn't happen". You know the part he put in bold,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">