• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired lease holdover or non-payment case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dvasbulique

What is the name of your state? New York

My lease expires on oct 2005

my landlord has increase my rent by $500

i don't intend on signing the lease for that amount

what are the legal setps that he can take against me?

what is a possible defense for me?

should i pay what i can afford or pay nothing at all...which would look better in the judge's eye?

longneck

you either need to pay ALL of the rent increase or give PROPER notice and move out.

unless you are in a rent control unit, in which case a $500 increase is probably beyond the allowed increase.

Dvasbulique

can't afford $1325 for a 1 bedroom in the south bronx.

longneck said:
you either need to pay ALL of the rent increase or give PROPER notice and move out.

unless you are in a rent control unit, in which case a $500 increase is probably beyond the allowed increase.

it is a rent controled/stablize unit....but he is not giving ME the preferential rate. it is his legal loophole to evict people who file repair complaints against him to hpd.

JETX

Dvasbulique said:
My lease expires on oct 2005

my landlord has increase my rent by $500

i don't intend on signing the lease for that amount
Simple, pay or move.

what are the legal setps that he can take against me?
Lets see.... eviction, lawsuit for damages, judgment, credit report hit, debt collectors.... what else.

what is a possible defense for me?
Uhhhhh, none, unless rent controlled.

should i pay what i can afford or pay nothing at all...which would look better in the judge's eye?
Either paying the full amount of your rent owed... or moving would look really good to the court.

longneck

Dvasbulique said:
it is a rent controled/stablize unit....but he is not giving ME the preferential rate. it is his legal loophole to evict people who file repair complaints against him to hpd.
huh? that doesn't make any sense. the LL does not decide what is rent controlled and what is not. so either the unit is, or it isn't. he can't all of a sudden decide that he doesn't want the unit to be rent controlled.

now if he just happens to be giving you the same rent cost as a rent controlled unit and now he wants to up it to the market value, then that is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">