• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expired lease-not paying rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msports111

What is the name of your state? Long Island, NY

I started managing 4 apartments for my 94 yr. old father and I have a tenant whose lease expired at the end of April. He started out as a good tenant, but over the course of the lease, became late on his rent quite a few times. At first, he had what seemed to be a good excuse--his sister had a brain aneurysm and he was helping the family. Finally, his excuses didn't fly anymore because he always had a new one, so I started assessing him late fees each month that he paid late. He paid late for May and again for June, but he now owes for July, August and will soon owe for Sept. I have repeatedly tried to call all of the numbers he has given me, but now he never returns my calls. My last message to him was that I am now going to start eviction proceedings.

My question is: I am a rookie at this property management thing and wondered if I need a lawyer to evict him even though his lease has expired? What are the exact steps I must take? Any help would be appreciated.

BL

Look up NYC landlord tenant Law , or yes hire an attorney for evictions .

You should have no problem eviction the in short order .

Also familiarize yourself with the rights and responsibilities of both the landlord and the tenant .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">