• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expired License and IID Install

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael25

New Hampshire

I have recently had a IID installed in my car. My technical suspension was over two years ago but I have just finished complying with all the necessary step to have my license reinstated. Including getting an interlock in stalled in a car I just bought. My suspension was in 2016 for two year with 12mos interlock installed. So of course because 2 additional years have gone by my license has long since expired. My question is do I have to have my license reinstated before the time on the interlock starts counting? I do not really have a need to drive but wanted a vehicle to 1. to start the 12 month requirement and two so that others could help me with transportation. My lawyer told me the time begins once the install in made - but I'm seeing a lot of information saying that it doesn't start counting to I get my license reinstated? Is this true or because my court order specifically reads an IID must be installed in any vehicle registered to me during suspense and for 12 months after and nothing about my license having to be valid. I would prefer not to get my license reinstated at this time but I don't want the time I paying for this device to be for nothing. Please advise.

Thank you so much!

quincy

I am curious: Why don’t you want your license reinstated now? You have a car and it is already equipped with the IID.

A condition for reinstatement of your license is to have an IID installed on every vehicle you use on a regular basis. There is nothing I found in the regulations that says you have to drive, however - although you will be expected to have your vehicle’s IID recalibrated on a regular basis. This is easier if you can drive your vehicle to the IID provider for recalibration.

quincy

Did you drive it without a driver license? If you did, or will, you risk getting caught, getting the car impounded, and getting more years added to your suspension.
Michael does say he wanted a car so others could help him with transportation.

Michael25

I have not driving since 2016. A lot of the reason I don't want to get my license reinstated is because the DMV said I had to take the test in an IID vehicle. Although my lawyer said that it is only required in any vehicle that is registered to me or a vehicle I use on a regular basis. I assumed I could use someone else's car to take the test, since it wasn't on a regular basis (1 time use). But I talked to a DMV rep. and they told me any vehicle I drove had to have it installed, including the car I take my drivers test in. I feel like that could be challenged because it is, exactly worded that way (any vehicle you drive on a regular basis). I find the IID very difficult to use and honestly feel it would potentially add awkward complications during the driving test.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it true that I can take the driver test in a vehicle without the IID? I'm going to call the DMV today concerning the the date of the install vs. the time I get my license reinstated. But I feel it can be limited to that individuals knowledge of the law.

Thanks again for any knowledge and/or experience you can help me with.

quincy

I have not driving since 2016. A lot of the reason I don't want to get my license reinstated is because the DMV said I had to take the test in an IID vehicle. Although my lawyer said that it is only required in any vehicle that is registered to me or a vehicle I use on a regular basis. I assumed I could use someone else's car to take the test, since it wasn't on a regular basis (1 time use). But I talked to a DMV rep. and they told me any vehicle I drove had to have it installed, including the car I take my drivers test in. I feel like that could be challenged because it is, exactly worded that way (any vehicle you drive on a regular basis). I find the IID very difficult to use and honestly feel it would potentially add awkward complications during the driving test.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it true that I can take the driver test in a vehicle without the IID? I'm going to call the DMV today concerning the the date of the install vs. the time I get my license reinstated. But I feel it can be limited to that individuals knowledge of the law.

Thanks again for any knowledge and/or experience you can help me with.
Is there some problem with the car you purchased that makes you wary of driving it for the test?

The IID does make driving more difficult. You must learn how the device works and there can be not only a learning curve but there can be issues at first with the device itself. You will adjust as you get used to its operation. The hardest adjustment could be in learning not to drink and drive, if you have continued to drink the last four years.

The DMV is familiar with IIDs, though, so you should not be concerned with the testing even if you fumble a bit at first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">