• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expressed Interest in Purchasing an Animal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommacat

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I expressed interest in purchasing an animal, but after stating I was "interested" a week later I learned that the animal would need a costly medical procedure completed in order to not have issues with my existing animals at home. I informed the seller the same day I got the quote from the vet on the cost that I could not pay the asking price and offered the best price I could pay. They neither accepted nor declined but a month later when we met again, they acted like the conversation never happened and got angry when I said I could not pay the full asking price again. They said they would get back to me, but it's been over two weeks and they have not. Am I legally obligated to purchase this animal? If they contact me going forward can I tell them I am no longer interested?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I expressed interest in purchasing an animal, but after stating I was "interested" a week later I learned that the animal would need a costly medical procedure completed in order to not have issues with my existing animals at home. I informed the seller the same day I got the quote from the vet on the cost that I could not pay the asking price and offered the best price I could pay. They neither accepted nor declined but a month later when we met again, they acted like the conversation never happened and got angry when I said I could not pay the full asking price again. They said they would get back to me, but it's been over two weeks and they have not. Am I legally obligated to purchase this animal? If they contact me going forward can I tell them I am no longer interested?
Expressing an interest in purchasing something and committing to purchasing something are very different.

I do not see that any legal agreement was formed between you and the animal seller, based on what you have said.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Here's some more advice. Never buy an animal from a private party, pet shop, or a backyard breeder. Get one from the pound or rescue organization. Those animals are typically medically screened and have all their shots.
Fixed that for you. There are good, breed-specific breeders out there, who are reputable and invested in carrying breed standards forward. Anyone interested in buying such as a pet (or to show), should do their research on breeders in general/the breeder they are interested in specifically and expect to spend some fair amount of cash. Both of my beagles are purebreds from a breeder - one was a rehome from his previous home and the other I bought as a puppy. Prior to choosing that breeder (and being accepted to buy one of her pups - she won't sell to anyone), I spent time finding out about her breeding dogs, their lines, how long she breeds them, what happens to them after, spoke with her vet, spoke with others who had purchased puppies from her, visited the kennel (on the property where she lives), checked out where the whelping area, etc. In return, she required a detailed application, phone interview, statement from my current vet, photos of my property to show fencing, etc. She requires all pick-ups to be in person - she will not send the pup with a third party nor transport by air or other public transport. About 90% of her pup's families are on a facebook group, many of us try to meet-up twice a year w/the pups. She remembers every pup - and believe it or not - they seem to remember her.

Different people have different reasons for going through a breeder, and they should not be shamed for it.

But I'm curious what "medical procedure" would be necessary "in order to not have issues with my existing animals at home."...

LdiJ

Fixed that for you. There are good, breed-specific breeders out there, who are reputable and invested in carrying breed standards forward. Anyone interested in buying such as a pet (or to show), should do their research on breeders in general/the breeder they are interested in specifically and expect to spend some fair amount of cash. Both of my beagles are purebreds from a breeder - one was a rehome from his previous home and the other I bought as a puppy. Prior to choosing that breeder (and being accepted to buy one of her pups - she won't sell to anyone), I spent time finding out about her breeding dogs, their lines, how long she breeds them, what happens to them after, spoke with her vet, spoke with others who had purchased puppies from her, visited the kennel (on the property where she lives), checked out where the whelping area, etc. In return, she required a detailed application, phone interview, statement from my current vet, photos of my property to show fencing, etc. She requires all pick-ups to be in person - she will not send the pup with a third party nor transport by air or other public transport. About 90% of her pup's families are on a facebook group, many of us try to meet-up twice a year w/the pups. She remembers every pup - and believe it or not - they seem to remember her.

Different people have different reasons for going through a breeder, and they should not be shamed for it.

But I'm curious what "medical procedure" would be necessary "in order to not have issues with my existing animals at home."...
My daughter and her boyfriend are currently breeding dogs. They put so much effort and time into it caring for the animals and treating every one of them as house pets. They don't breed their males and females together. They sell the sperm of their males and buy sperm for their females so as to have a wide gene pool and no inbreeding. Every puppy they sell has had all of its shots and has had full physicals from vets with certificates to go with them.

Not all backyard breeders are irresponsible about it. I am rather proud of how responsible they are being.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My guess, spaying or neutering, so that there is no offspring.
Which would mean the other animals are not spayed/neutered.... I have one unneutered cat (he's actually my daughter/SIL's cat, and SIL has a "thing" about it). There have been no offspring, nor does he go outdoors to populate the world...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Not all backyard breeders are irresponsible about it. I am rather proud of how responsible they are being.
I wouldn't consider them backyard breeders. To me, that indicates someone who wants to give their female "a chance to be a Mommy" or their male "a chance to have sex at least once"... Stupid, IMO.

What breed?

LdiJ

I wouldn't consider them backyard breeders. To me, that indicates someone who wants to give their female "a chance to be a Mommy" or their male "a chance to have sex at least once"... Stupid, IMO.

What breed?
Its a new one. The name is American Bullies, and they do have some pitbull genes but they are a pitbull/bulldog mix and they are really kind of goofy dogs. They are low to the ground, with a mushed in face, and are just kind of goofy. They aren't aggressive (except sometimes with each other) and my daughter trains them to be non aggressive to humans. She literally puts her hands in their food while they are eating when they are puppies, and establishes herself as their alpha.

I would consider them to be backyard breeders because they have multiple breeding or providing sperm dogs and their intent is to make it a business.

My daughter is like the pied piper of puppies, its incredible to watch. This last batch was 16 puppies, 5 from one mom and 11 from the other, born just a week apart. Once the puppies were about 5 weeks they were weaned and were all kept together in one kennel inside at night, and another kennel outside during the day.

All my daughter had to do was to the puppy "dance" to move all of them from one kennel to the other. Once is a while one of them would veer off and have to be caught, but otherwise the whole "herd" just followed her while she "danced".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">