• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunged Records-What exactly is cleared??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buffyb

I reside in Illinois and have been trying in vain to search the web on this topic and have found very little information on my specific question. When a guilty plea is entered for a first time offender on a misdameanor charge and the judge/state's attorney agree to 1 year court supervision, I understand that after the year is up you may file a request with your local Circuit Clerk to have the records expunged.

But what records are expunged? Is it records of the arrest and/or court appearance from just the "Public Records" or does it include the public records plus the local law enforement's arrest records? What about the records the State would have of the arrest--are they expunged also when request is made to the local Circuit Clerk?

Also, when under court supervision, and for that matter when the supervision ends, how do you truthfully answer a question on an employment application that asks "Are you bondable?" What criteria are used by a bonding company to decide if you are bondable? Is it just conviction records, or arrest records? It is my understanding that under court supervision/subsquent expungement you are actually not "convicted". Is this assumption correct?

Thank you for any legal advise you can provide and I very much appreciate this web-site....it's full of information.

W

wondering too!

Let me know what you find out on this topic. I too am wondering how this whole thing works. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">