• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunging a Criminal Record, possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G_of_T

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

After a year long wait since the incident happened, I was convicted with a misdemeanor drug offense (marijuana) earlier this November, I have my whole life ahead of me, I'm only 20 years old, 19 when I was caught. Is there hope to have my record sealed or expunged after 4 or 5 years of clean behavior? I've researched this a bit but have no concrete answers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

smd5651

. I really don't know how it works in your state or what they parameters are in your state. You can call the States Attorney office in your county (the county and court you were arrested in) and find out if you qualify and what you need to do.

G_of_T

Thanks for the reply though. It's funny that you say that because...

-I did call the court, and the lady said i needed to speak to an attorney.
-I called an attorney and his receptionist said that he couldn't answer any more questions.
-I surfed the web a bit, and found a paragraph saying that I couldn't get my record
expunged, the only way I could is if I was innocent to being with, which I'm not.
-I called another attorney and although I couldn't speak with him, his receptionist said I could get my record expunged in a few years, and that it "happens all the time." I clearly stated that I was convicted, not just charged.

I'm confused o.o

FlyingRon

The answer is simple. No expungement of convictions in the Commonwealth except under very limited circumstances which do not apply to you.

cyjeff

Not every state offers expungements.

You picked a bad state to commit a life altering crime.

You may need to look into a pardon. Those are not very common.

FlyingRon

A pardon doesn't automatically qualify you for expungement here in VA. It has read specifically that it was an "unjust conviction" (typically the ones the Governor gives out when there's pretty compelling DNA or whatever evidence that crops up later and he wishes to short cut releasing someone).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">