• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungment/Dismissal of Records and Fingerprinting for a job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AppleBrownBetty

What is the name of your state (California/Maryland)

In 2006, I received a felony conviction for theft and was sentenced to three years probation in California. Later in 2010, after I completed the terms of my probation, I was able to file for a dismissal. My conviction was reduced to a misdemeanor, and thrown out. This allowed me to answer NO on job applications if I have ever been convicted of a crime(of course anything but government positions). I have worked for 3 healthcare organizations since, all of which I passed my background check.

However, I have an interview at a nursing home in Maryland for a Director position on Tuesday, and I believe I will be fingerprinted in addition to the background check. But on the application, I said NO for the "ever been convicted" question. I am now afraid that I will not be considered for the position for "lying" on the application. My position doesn't entail the clinical side of healthcare like nursing or physical therapy. Strictly administrative.

When they do the fingerprint search, I know it will show an arrest record, but will it go into anymore detail than that? I am not exactly sure how this works...

Moderators, please move if this is the incorrect forum.

Last edited:

davew128

What the background check will show is up to whomever runs the check. That said, you are correct in that you can truthfully respond that you can answer no convictions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">