• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extended warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jredd8455

I purchased an aftermarket extended warranty for my used motorcycle, 2016 HD. Just a couple days after the warranty arrived I had a breakdown and took it to the dealer as required. Also as required I emailed because it was less that 30 days since the purchase of the warranty. The dealership stated the repairs which need to be done and I contacted the warranty contact. The claim was denied due to the it being less than 30 days and/or 300 miles on the vehicle. No where in the signed extended service agreement does it state this is a stipulation. When I asked for clarification I was referred to the website section stating:
30-Day and 300 Mile Elimination Period
If your current motorcycle is out of coverage and now purchasing extended coverage from Discount ESP, no claims can be made for 30 days and 300 miles, whichever is greater.

Although in the representatives admission this is not in the contract. They say it is to prevent "preexisting conditions" from being claimed. The only reference to the warranty taking effect is in the Tire and Wheel optional coverage, which I added that states:
This coverage begins on the Date of Sale and expires according to the term selected.

If it is not in the contract can they enforce the 30 day/300 mile stipulation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And...does the contract refer to the terms and conditions on the web site?

PayrollHRGuy

You have to decide if the $960 plus maybe the $1000 is worth getting a lawyer involved.

Did the dealership sell you the extended warranty? If so you might get them involved.

jredd8455

No it was not through the dealership. It is an aftermarket warranty called DiscountESP underwritten by Virginia Surety Co.

jredd8455

I am guessing a letter from an attorney pointing out the lack of any "waiting period" within the actual contract would make them change direction

PayrollHRGuy

No it was not through the dealership. It is an aftermarket warranty called DiscountESP underwritten by Virginia Surety Co.
I'm well aware of the company. Never heard a good thing about them.

I am guessing a letter from an attorney pointing out the lack of any "waiting period" within the actual contract would make them change direction
Another option before you lawyer up is to file a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance.
https://www.tdi.texas.gov/consumer/other-insurance-complaint.html

quincy

A claim can be filed with (or a cancellation refund can be requested from) Virginia Surety Company in Chicago, Illinois.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">