• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extra Salary Deposited.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sammy007

What is the name of your state? California

I recently quit a job that I had a very bad experience with. Two weeks after my leaving I received a call from the company's HR rep. She told me that a an extra salary check has been accidently direct deposited into my account. She also said that I should "be the bigger man" and write the company a return check. Now, before I do this I want to know if legally I have to "be the bigger man" and give them the check. This would not normally be a dilemma for me but like I said I had a VERY BAD experience at this company.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It doesn't matter how bad an experience you had with the company; that does not make keeping money that does not belong to you legal.

Beth3

Huh? It doesn't matter how bad an experience you had with the company; that does not make keeping money that does not belong to you legal. Taking or keeping property that is not yours is called theft; it's also a crime....

Those ARE legal opinions. The money does not belong to you, even if the employer mistakenly deposited the funds. If you fail to return the money, the company can sue you for it.

Sammy007

Thanks

Ok, i think i knew the answer to begin with but was seeking revenge from my hellish employer.

Thanks, i just needed to know because i wanted to give them a hard time.

JasonCP

I would give it to them just make them jump through a few hoops also watch out for yourself make sure you get a letter with witness that you paid it back

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">