• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extradition from foriegn country - likely or not ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

How likely is state justice to seek federal assistance to extradite from a foreign country for a first offense - non violent drug offenses. The accused is out on bail and has paid their bail in full and is awaiting formal indictment. The charges consist of 3 first degree felonies for drug trafficking / manufacturing and delivery in the state of Texas.

The accused is not affiliated with any gang or cartel involvement and has a proven record of being successful in society eg a masters degree and track record of employment.

If the answer is that it is likely a state justice would seek federal involvement would that mean the accused would be put on an interpol notice? Would the case then have to be made federal for an international extradition? Would it be cost advantages for the US to proceed in such matters for this sort of alleged crime? What is an estimate of the costs involved?

quincy

How likely is state justice to seek federal assistance to extradite from a foreign country for a first offense - non violent drug offenses. The accused is out on bail and has paid their bail in full and is awaiting formal indictment. The charges consist of 3 first degree felonies for drug trafficking / manufacturing and delivery in the state of Texas.

The accused is not affiliated with any gang or cartel involvement and has a proven record of being successful in society eg a masters degree and track record of employment.

If the answer is that it is likely a state justice would seek federal involvement would that mean the accused would be put on an interpol notice? Would the case then have to be made federal for an international extradition? Would it be cost advantages for the US to proceed in such matters for this sort of alleged crime? What is an estimate of the costs involved?
There are so many factors that can come into play that your question is not one that can be answered with any sort of certainty.

Who are you in this? What spurs your question? What other country is involved? Why did the accused leave the US?

Just Blue

What country did he run off to?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What country did he run off to?
My guess is that the accused is still in Texas but wondering if he/she might be able to escape his/her legal troubles by fleeing the U.S. For felony drug sale charges it is certainly possible that the state will want to bring back the accused and pay for it, though whether the country to which he or she fled would extradite him or her of course depends on the country. There is also the issue of whether that other country would even take the accused. If the person is not a citizen of that other country he may find the country rather hostile to the idea of admitting an accused drug dealer.

I am a concerned party of the accused but I don't think who I am in this is necessarily relevant to the question though? Again I am not sure that the reasons behind why the accused has fled or is contemplating it is relevant? The accused in my mind is innocent and I believe the reasons are related to what they have read about unjustified prosecutions of innocent people in the US, because an informant was involved to lessen their charges and the accused was setup I think they believe their case is not particularly the strongest and should they be able to live a life outside the US they have the means and ability to do so.

There is currently no particular country to my knowledge. The accused works internationally so ideally would not want to give up their ability to travel. However would do so to avoid a lengthy prosecution in which case I would imagine would flee to a non extraditable country such as Marroco, Vietnam, or Nepal (even though we know this does not allways mean they would not be extradited due to diplomatec relations etc)

quincy

If you want to help your friend, hire for him an attorney. The attorney no doubt can give him several good reasons why he should not think about fleeing the country.

If you want to help your friend, hire for him an attorney. The attorney no doubt can give him several good reasons why he should not think about fleeing the country.
Thanks for your response but I should of put in my inititial post that I am not looking for a recomendation to hire an attorney.

quincy

Thanks for your response but I should of put in my inititial post that I am not looking for a recomendation to hire an attorney.
Oh. Well ... that is the best advice I have to offer. :)

The less-good advice is to distance yourself from your friend lest you get caught up in his legal woes and get charged with aiding and abetting.

It would be interesting if anyone can provide case examples of international extradition cases that are not for crimes such as murder, kidnapping, pedophilia or large cartel and drug lord crime. Ones that are similar to that of the one I am presenting. I haven't found any.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
There is currently no particular country to my knowledge. The accused works internationally so ideally would not want to give up their ability to travel. However would do so to avoid a lengthy prosecution in which case I would imagine would flee to a non extraditable country such as Marroco, Vietnam, or Nepal (even though we know this does not allways mean they would not be extradited due to diplomatec relations etc)
If he leaves, he better be comfortable with the idea of never, ever returning to the U.S. because he may be arrested and prosecuted whenever he returns. Since the charges are already filed there will be no statute of limitations problem for the state. And he'd best ensure that the country to which he goes will not have a problem admitting an accused drug dealer. A number of nations, particularly in Asia, have very harsh drug laws and will not take persons who are known or suspected drug dealers. Finally, even if he is good to go to that country, traveling to other nations for his work could be a problem as it is possible any one of them might hold him and extradite him to the U.S.

quincy

It would be interesting if anyone can provide case examples of international extradition cases that are not for crimes such as murder, kidnapping, pedophilia or large cartel and drug lord crime. Ones that are similar to that of the one I am presenting. I haven't found any.
There is a dearth of cases because most people are too smart to flee the country for anything less than murder or the like. They instead rely on good attorney representation.

I am a concerned party of the accused but I don't think who I am in this is necessarily relevant to the question though? Again I am not sure that the reasons behind why the accused has fled or is contemplating it is relevant? The accused in my mind is innocent and I believe the reasons are related to what they have read about unjustified prosecutions of innocent people in the US,
Well your personal opinion that your friend is innocent is also irrelevant.
What drug was involved?

quincy

This is not the very best time to think of going to another country, as a few countries are already closing their borders until Covid-19 is under control. And most countries will not accept with open arms anyone with pending felony charges.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I am a concerned party of the accused...
That really doesn't make much sense.

Mind your business and let the accused deal with his own legal problems.

His masters degree and job history is irrelevant - he's charged with several serious crimes. He needs an attorney, not information on how to flee the country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">