• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extradition from foriegn country - likely or not ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I'm still interested what drug was involved.
Big difference between growing and selling weed and operating a meth lab.
With felony charges pending, there will not be much difference in how other countries will view the drugs involved.

Here is a link to information on Texas drug laws, published by Southern Methodist University (for the education of their student population):
https://www.smu.edu/StudentAffairs/HealthCenter/Counseling/DrugfreeCampus/TXStateLawPenalties

Thanks for your response. So far it has been the most relevant to my question. However, I am asking what is the likeliness that the case would be made federal in order for an extradition to be made? It is my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) that in order to extradite from a foreign territory it needs to be at a government level and the costs involved can be quite high. Is it worth the trouble?

Points taken regarding the irrelevancy of the accused employment history etc and the irrelevance of my own opinions - agreed.

If he leaves, he better be comfortable with the idea of never, ever returning to the U.S. because he may be arrested and prosecuted whenever he returns. Since the charges are already filed there will be no statute of limitations problem for the state. And he'd best ensure that the country to which he goes will not have a problem admitting an accused drug dealer. A number of nations, particularly in Asia, have very harsh drug laws and will not take persons who are known or suspected drug dealers. Finally, even if he is good to go to that country, traveling to other nations for his work could be a problem as it is possible any one of them might hold him and extradite him to the U.S.

quincy

Thanks for your response. So far it has been the most relevant to my question. However, I am asking what is the likeliness that the case would be made federal in order for an extradition to be made? It is my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) that in order to extradite from a foreign territory it needs to be at a government level and the costs involved can be quite high. Is it worth the trouble?

Points taken regarding the irrelevancy of the accused employment history etc and the irrelevance of my own opinions - agreed.
Whether the state feels it is worth the time, cost and trouble of pursuing extradition is a question mark.

The person involved would no doubt be smarter to simply hire a good criminal defense attorney rather than thinking of leaving the country to avoid prosecution.

Whether the state feels it is worth the time, cost and trouble of pursuing extradition is a question mark.

The person involved would no doubt be smarter to simply hire a good criminal defense attorney rather than thinking of leaving the country to avoid prosecution.
Quincy, yes we get it - you are of the opinion that the accused should hire a good criminal defense attorney (FYI this has allready been done), that is however not really what the thread is about but I appreciate your concerns. There is only so much a good attorney can do in a corrupt legal system that is all about convictions and $$

Thank you for the input regarding the question mark on the states stance in the persuit of extradition. Is there anywhere one can look for examples of where the state has done this ? Other then google searches?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Thanks for your response. So far it has been the most relevant to my question. However, I am asking what is the likeliness that the case would be made federal in order for an extradition to be made?
Unlikely because it is not necessary. Moreover, the federal government cannot simply convert any state criminal case to a federal one. If what the person is accused of doing is also a federal crime (as drug dealing generally is) then the federal government may bring charges in addition to the state, but usually if the state is prosecuting the federal government will not pile on charges for the same offense. A lot of state crimes are not federal offenses so in those instances there is no crime the federal government could charge. In any event, if the state is willing to pay the cost to bring the suspect back then the extradition can be done if the foreign country will extradite. The U.S. Marshals will cooperate with the state to facilitate it.

quincy

Here is a link to a list of countries without extradition treaties with the US:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/countries-without-extradition

Although the US has extradition treaties with over 100 countries, some of these countries have refused in the past to extradite to the US one of their own citizens, and some countries that do not have extradition treaties with the US still have agreed to extradite to the US persons wanted in the US.

In other words, it can be a crap shoot for someone with felony warrants in the US to flee to another country to escape prosecution.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am asking what is the likeliness that the case would be made federal in order for an extradition to be made?
Oh, for the love of heaven. :rolleyes:

The odds that your "friend" will be extradited if you - I mean he - flees the country are somewhere between zero and 100. We have no means to estimate it any closer than that.

CdwJava

Of course, most countries might unceremoniously reject or eject your friend because of his criminal history and warrants. So, his traveling ANYWHERE may be moot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">