• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eye doctor deliberately misdiagnose....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? NY.

This incident did not occur to me. It occurred to a relative of mine. So the story is true. This relative went to see an eye doctor to get a new pair of lenses. Did your regular eye exam with the refraction machine? That's it. Did not even test for eye pressure with the machine that shoots a puff of air into your eyes. What's troubling to me is that with the simple eye exam, the doctor disagnosed this person with glucoma. This doctor claimed that this person had a "speck" in the eye. And that was the reason for the diagnosis. This is most likely malpractice. But since no injury occurred because this person valued my opinion more than the doctor's and did not go to seek treatment, there is no damage and most like no case. So i am wondering if this doctor broke the law by deliberately misdiagnosing someone. If this doctor genuinely believe this person had glucoma, he would have done other tests that are designed to look the glucoma such as field vision test and OCT test. I am not looking to file a complaint with the state board. That's not gonna do anything. If you have experience with this or know that this doctor broke state or federal law, please comment. NO TROLLS PLEASE. If no one knows, then no one knows. Thanks.

Just Blue

This incident did not occur to me. It occurred to a relative of mine. So the story is true. This relative went to see an eye doctor to get a new pair of lenses. Did your regular eye exam with the refraction machine? That's it. Did not even test for eye pressure with the machine that shoots a puff of air into your eyes. What's troubling to me is that with the simple eye exam, the doctor disagnosed this person with glucoma. This doctor claimed that this person had a "speck" in the eye. And that was the reason for the diagnosis. This is most likely malpractice. But since no injury occurred because this person valued my opinion more than the doctor's and did not go to seek treatment, there is no damage and most like no case. So i am wondering if this doctor broke the law by deliberately misdiagnosing someone. If this doctor genuinely believe this person had glucoma, he would have done other tests that are designed to look the glucoma such as field vision test and OCT test. I am not looking to file a complaint with the state board. That's not gonna do anything. If you have experience with this or know that this doctor broke state or federal law, please comment. NO TROLLS PLEASE. If no one knows, then no one knows. Thanks.
No. The doctor didn't "break the law". If your relative has question please tell him/her to sign up, using their own user name, and we will be happy to assist them.

Just Blue

Ok, sure. A doctor can deliberately misdiagnose someone. Didn't you read my post? I said no trolls.
Then feel free to peruse the med-mal law books for the law that you feel was broken by the doctor.

You should have learned by now that you do not dictate who can post to your thread. I have been a member here for over 15 years...If I were a troll I would have been banned over 15 years ago. ;)

quincy

I do not see that you have any reason to file a complaint against the “eye doctor.”

If the eye doctor that your relative saw was an optometrist rather than an ophthalmologist, the optometrist would be right to note an abnormality and recommend an examination by an ophthalmologist.

If your relative believes he was misdiagnosed, he probably should first discuss this with the optometrist/ophthalmologist who examined him or, if he is uncomfortable discussing the exam with the doctor who examined him, he should make an appointment with another ophthalmologist for an exam and discuss the previous diagnosis with this doctor.

Unless you are a physician, you probably should not be advising your relative.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

This incident did not occur to me. It occurred to a relative of mine. So the story is true. This relative went to see an eye doctor to get a new pair of lenses. Did your regular eye exam with the refraction machine? That's it. Did not even test for eye pressure with the machine that shoots a puff of air into your eyes. What's troubling to me is that with the simple eye exam, the doctor disagnosed this person with glucoma. This doctor claimed that this person had a "speck" in the eye. And that was the reason for the diagnosis. This is most likely malpractice.
Oh please. That is NOT malpractice. That IS a reason for your relative to get additional tests runs.
FYI - the pressure test is not the only method used to diagnose glaucoma. It is but one of many different tests.

I do not see that you have any reason to file a complaint against the “eye doctor.”

If the eye doctor that your relative saw was an optometrist rather than an ophthalmologist, the optometrist would be right to note an abnormality and recommend an examination by an ophthalmologist.

If your relative believes he was misdiagnosed, he probably should first discuss this with the optometrist/ophthalmologist who examined him or, if he is uncomfortable discussing the exam with the doctor who examined him, he should make an appointment with another ophthalmologist for an exam and discuss the previous diagnosis with this doctor.

Unless you are a physician, you probably should not be advising your relative.
You didn't read my post. Did not recoomend seeing ophthalmologist. Diagnosed her with glucoma. This is willful negligence. And i don't have a complaint?

quincy

You said you are not a troll, you have experience with this or are you a lawyer?
Please read the IMPORTANT NOTICE at the bottom of this page. Most of the members responding to posters are not attorneys.

It remains that the experience your relative had with the eye doctor should be discussed with the eye doctor or another eye doctor. It is your relative who should be doing the discussing.

Accusing a doctor of malpractice is serious stuff that can lead to a costly defamation suit against the accuser if the accusations are false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">