• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

F1 Overstay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Virginia

In the event that a F1 holder overstays visa (post 60-days of graduation and OPT ending), for a period of _under_ 180 days:

If wanting to enroll in school/academics, does he need to leave the country to get a new visa, or just get an I-20 from the issuing school and thus be back in status?

If offered an H1 by an employer, and paperwork is filed and approved ,can he be put into status while still overstaying in the US, or does he need to leave to get an H1 visa stamp?

(can paperwork for H1 or F1 even be approved if applicant is overstaying?)

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential