• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

F1 to greencard help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? California

To whom who may help

I'm an international student and I will get my degree at the end of this year. I've just got married to a US citizen and filed the pertition for green card in California. My wife is now living in NY and Im living and going school in California, we can not live together until i am done with school. My question is : at the time we have the interview with INS, is there anything happen if we still live apart like this? will they deny my petition just because of living apart? Thanks


Senior Member
No, your petition will not be denied if you have sufficient documentation of your bona fide relationship and proof that you are maintaining a valid marriage despite the geography. The burden of proof is on you to document everything and to prove to the USCIS that the marriage is valid and legitimate so the more proof you accumulate the better. Make sure you have a good, reasonable explanation of why you are living apart and keep proof of everything you can to show how you are maintaining a valid marriage during this time apart from one another.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential