• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facial Hair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDoeIsTaken

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am beginning a 2nd job at McDonalds. During my orientation they informed me that I would have to shave my goatee. Is it neatly trimmed, not extending past the corners of the mouth. No mustache of course, but there is the soul path leading to it. The reason I was given was that this was mandated by State Law. However, I had previously worked at McDonalds and this was never an issue. I am also an assistant manager at another restaurant and again, this is not an issue. I have been there during a health inspection and the health inspector never said a word. I told them that I would not shave it at orientation, and tomorrow I'm going to speak with the assistant or GM to see whether or not they would be okay with that as it is supposedly against policy. I was just looking to get the facts prior to the conversation.

This wouldn't be an issue, but with a shaved head, you look very silly without it haha

davew128

Familiar with the New York Yankees? Take a look at the pictures of each and every one of their playees over the last 37 years. They have something in common.

Hint: It has everything to do with what your employer is mandating.

Betty

Your employer can disallow facial hair. You have to follow whatever
rule/regulation your employer has. The only time facial hair might have to
be allowed is if it is due to religious beliefs or due to a possible medical
condition.

JohnDoeIsTaken

§ 46.152. Hair restraints.

(a) General requirement. Employees shall wear hair restraints such as hats, hair coverings or nets, beard restraints and clothing that covers body hair, that are effectively designed and worn to keep their hair from contacting exposed food; clean equipment, utensils and linens; and unwrapped single-service and single-use articles.

(b) Exception. This section does not apply to food employees who present a minimal risk of contaminating exposed food, clean equipment, utensils, linens and unwrapped single-service and single-use articles. These food employees may include employees such as counter staff who only serve beverages and wrapped or packaged foods, hostesses and wait staff.

PA state law does NOT in fact state that I am required to as the position they are putting me in only requires me to handle wrapped items. Either way, I'm going to say I'm Jewish and it's against my religion and offer to wear a beard net when working in a position that would require it by state law. Not much they can do then without risking a lawsuit.

eerelations

While they may have been incorrect in telling you that state law requires them to ensure you don't have any facial hair on the job, it doesn't take away from the simple fact that they are legally allowed to require you to remove your facial hair before working for them, if for no other reason except that they happen to feel like it.

I_Got_Banned

§ 46.152. Hair restraints.

(a) General requirement. Employees shall wear hair restraints such as hats, hair coverings or nets, beard restraints and clothing that covers body hair, that are effectively designed and worn to keep their hair from contacting exposed food; clean equipment, utensils and linens; and unwrapped single-service and single-use articles.

(b) Exception. This section does not apply to food employees who present a minimal risk of contaminating exposed food, clean equipment, utensils, linens and unwrapped single-service and single-use articles. These food employees may include employees such as counter staff who only serve beverages and wrapped or packaged foods, hostesses and wait staff.
That only says that "IF" you have any facial hair then you must wear hair restraint. It doesn't say that they MUST hire you with or without facial hair.

Not much they can do then without risking a lawsuit.
Yeah :rolleyes:, let us know how that works out for you :D

pattytx

Either way, I'm going to say I'm Jewish and it's against my religion and offer to wear a beard net when working in a position that would require it by state law. Not much they can do then without risking a lawsuit.
OK, and the company has a perfect right to require you to provide a letter of your orthodoxy and adherence to the religion from your rabbi. Not all Jewish sects require men have facial hair. Or are you going to fake that too? :rolleyes:

Mass_Shyster

Not much they can do then without risking a lawsuit.
It's simply not possible to operate a business without risking a lawsuit. The question is: Are they going to give in to your demands?

Another question: Was there a question on the application asking if you needed any special accommodations to perform the required duties? How did you respond?

Are people of "your religion" permitted to work on Saturday?

Even if they do knuckle under, and let you wear a beard net, you should expect to be fired for the first mistake you make.

Some Random Guy

Either way, I'm going to say I'm Jewish and it's against my religion
Well since you are clearly ethically challenged, I guess we can stop trying to figure out what the law says on this matter. Just go do whatever you want.

P.S. Its against my religion to not get a million dollar bonus every month!

eerelations

OK, and the company has a perfect right to require you to provide a letter of your orthodoxy and adherence to the religion from your rabbi. Not all Jewish sects require men have facial hair. Or are you going to fake that too? :rolleyes:
Agree, it's completely legal for an employer to require proof like this. In fact it's quite common.

ecmst12

Your neatly trimmed "soul patch" is also against your religion if you were observing strictly; orthodox and hasidic jews don't trim their beards AT ALL. Your BS "religious exemption" will never pass the smell test and will only make you look dishonest to your employer.

Your choices are shave the thing off or find another McDonalds where the manager will allow you to keep it.

CourtClerk

Are we really having this conversation and is he really doing all this plotting and scheming over a job at McDonalds??:eek::confused::confused:

I guess that's the best he can do with his life.

JohnDoeIsTaken

Actually I'm an assistant manager of a restuarant, but thanks CourtClerk. I'm taking a second job and McDonalds is preferable to stocking for a third shift job. I'd rather keep the goatee than the job. After all, as you so nicely pointed out, it is only McDonalds.

A goatee is considered a beard. Why yes, they do not shave at all, my interpretation happens to be different. By that argument, the Sunday Christians aren't technically Christian. Also, if you're born to a Jewish mother, you are considered Jewish regardless of whatever faith you choose to follow.

Either way, it's a last ditch resort only if necessary. They never mentioned it on the app, in the interview, or any other time except in my orientation and I told them No, I refused and they continued anyway.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether you are or are not Jewish, the fact remains that your "tastefully trimmed soul patch" or whatever it is you call it, is not going to pass the smell test if you are claiming a religious exemption. And I can promise you that the EEOC examiner knows this. He or she will see it for exactly what it is; an attempt at bypassing company policy for your own ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">