• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Factors in spousal support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oso18

What is the name of your state? Oregon.

My wife and I have been married for 2 years, and have been apart for the last month. She is at the house we rent, with our 2 kids. I've been staying with a co-worker. I've always been responsible for 100% of the rent, bills, and expenses. And plan on continuing to do so until this is final (divorce). Child support is a pretty clear cut formula. But spousal support seems to be a huge grey area. Obviously our marriage is short so that is a factor. However as of last school year 2017/2018. The kids are in school all day and there was no reason for her not to work. Before it was the best option as I don't make a lot of money and couldn't afford childcare. As far as I know the state of oregon assumes all healthy adults are able to work. Is this a factor? As in she shouldn't be expecting to live off support without working. Is me paying all expenses in the mean time a factor? We don't have any shared debt or property, only 2 cars which were both in my name, and I already signed the title of her van over to her. However, I have paid off almost $15k in fines and collections for her over the past 4 years. Is that a factor? I'm assuming Transitional support is what we'd fall under. Since our marriage was short. As far as time split with the kids, that's still up in the air. But more than likely I'll have 2-3 days a week. We were supposed to file together but twice now she has decided not to at the last minute. So I'm working on filing now. I'm just really in the dark about how a number is reached.

HRZ

If you pay off her bills and fines it is unlikely you receive credit for same ....stop doing so at least for now

Oso18

If you pay off her bills and fines it is unlikely you receive credit for same ....stop doing so at least for now
Luckily for her all her debt is already paid off by me. As far as continuing to pay current bills, rent, etc. She doesn't have the means at the moment to do herself. And the kids are living in the house with her. I know I'm not obligated to do so. But my personal moral obligations are different. I see the kids a few days a week, and despite my best efforts she won't let them stay any nights with me. I know she has no legal right to do so at the moment. But it's unnecessary conflict. And a whole different subject.

Oso18

There appears to be several spousal support calculators for Oregon online. Try one.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=oregon+spousal+support+calculator&t=hj&ia=web
I've looked at those. Maybe I'm just not understanding it right. I'm not good at this kind of stuff.
When it says to figure the joint cost of living using the previous years tax. Disregarding any costs associated with minors. Does that mean general things like bills and normal expenses?
I'm willing to pay it to help her get on her feet or whatever. But I kind of get the impression that since our marriage is so short, and she is in good health. I may not have to pay much or anything at all. I assume the final say is up to a judge?

LdiJ

I've looked at those. Maybe I'm just not understanding it right. I'm not good at this kind of stuff.
When it says to figure the joint cost of living using the previous years tax. Disregarding any costs associated with minors. Does that mean general things like bills and normal expenses?
I'm willing to pay it to help her get on her feet or whatever. But I kind of get the impression that since our marriage is so short, and she is in good health. I may not have to pay much or anything at all. I assume the final say is up to a judge?
Yes, unless the two of you come to an agreement the final say is up to the judge. Odds are that if you get court ordered to pay any alimony it will be for a very short time...less than a year and maybe only a few months. You are smart to continue to pay the rent and utilities because those are likely under your name and its your credit that would be damaged if they are not paid. So, even though you are doing it because you feel a moral obligation, you are also protecting yourself by doing it.

Yes, your wife can now work if the children are in school, but she cannot work full time without incurring some daycare costs, which you would be required to share. There would be before or after school care, and there would be care needed during the summer and school holidays.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">