• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed to report an income change while living in subsidized housing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Semiotic

Hi, I live in subsidized housing and since things have been rough for me lately, I applied for financial aid (cash assistance) and got approved. Nice! Except for the entire first month, it kept slipping my mind to call them and report this. I work pretty strange hours and am usually asleep during the day when the office is open, which also doesn't help. I got extremely worried I was going to be kicked out/charged with fraud for reporting it so late, and so I just never did. Very stupid, I know. I was too anxious about it to just report it late and now it's a mess. I'm sure they're going to find out eventually, and I'll end up reporting it either way, but I'm not sure how to go about it at this point. Is it necessary to tell them exactly when I started receiving aid (probably)? And am I going to be evicted for this? This is in Illinois by the way. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to share some advice with me.

LdiJ

Hi, I live in subsidized housing and since things have been rough for me lately, I applied for financial aid (cash assistance) and got approved. Nice! Except for the entire first month, it kept slipping my mind to call them and report this. I work pretty strange hours and am usually asleep during the day when the office is open, which also doesn't help. I got extremely worried I was going to be kicked out/charged with fraud for reporting it so late, and so I just never did. Very stupid, I know. I was too anxious about it to just report it late and now it's a mess. I'm sure they're going to find out eventually, and I'll end up reporting it either way, but I'm not sure how to go about it at this point. Is it necessary to tell them exactly when I started receiving aid (probably)? And am I going to be evicted for this? This is in Illinois by the way. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to share some advice with me.
Are you sure that cash assistance is something you need to report? Is that not a form of welfare benefits? If not, where is the cash assistance coming from and why?

Just Blue

How long has this been going on?

Semiotic

How long has this been going on?
It's been about 3 months. So not insanely long, but long enough that it definitely should have been reported by now :/ I know I'm going to owe them money either way. I'm just hoping that even though it's late, they consider it timely enough to not evict me/hit me with a fraud charge.

Semiotic

Are you sure that cash assistance is something you need to report? Is that not a form of welfare benefits? If not, where is the cash assistance coming from and why?
Right, it is welfare received from the state. The housing is also controlled by the state, so I'm sure they're going to know. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been mentioned to me yet. To further illustrate the extent of my terrible decision making (and something I forgot to mention in the original post) every year they have you fill out forms to certify again that you qualify to live there. One of the questions specifically asks if you receive cash assistance. I panicked and ticked no. So stupid. I know. I was already pretty deep into this so I guess I figured "well, there's a possibility that checking yes right now will just get me in trouble sooner with the same result". I've made a complete mess of this whole thing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Right, it is welfare received from the state. The housing is also controlled by the state, so I'm sure they're going to know. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been mentioned to me yet. To further illustrate the extent of my terrible decision making (and something I forgot to mention in the original post) every year they have you fill out forms to certify again that you qualify to live there. One of the questions specifically asks if you receive cash assistance. I panicked and ticked no. So stupid. I know. I was already pretty deep into this so I guess I figured "well, there's a possibility that checking yes right now will just get me in trouble sooner with the same result". I've made a complete mess of this whole thing.
So you lied on the recertification. That may very well be considered perjury and you should prepare to get evicted. You didn't just forget to report but you LIED.

Semiotic

So you lied on the recertification. That may very well be considered perjury and you should prepare to get evicted. You didn't just forget to report but you LIED.
Yes. Like I said before, I wasn't prepared to be specifically asked this question. My nerves got the better of me and I was afraid of getting an eviction notice right then and there for something I didn't even mean to hide to begin with. I should have done my research the moment I realized how late I was, or not have procrastinated on it at all. The entire situation is just a result of me acting like a complete moron and failing to be a functional adult. Of course I know this. And while I really do appreciate any answer I can get, the hostility isn't necessary. I'm already judging myself harder than anyone else possibly could. I get it, it's ridiculous. I'm ridiculous. Painfully aware of this and not thrilled about it either. I'm just trying to prevent my life from being ruined because of it.

reenzz

The housing authority could try to charge you for the back rent that could have been charged if there had been proper reporting. They may also try to charge you interest or a late payment penalty on the unpaid amount.

The housing authority could try to evict you for failure to properly report your income. You may be able to prevent your eviction in court if the failure to properly report an income increase was for good cause or the amount of the unpaid rent is relatively small in comparison to the rent that normally would have been paid.

Just Blue

Yes. Like I said before, I wasn't prepared to be specifically asked this question. My nerves got the better of me and I was afraid of getting an eviction notice right then and there for something I didn't even mean to hide to begin with. I should have done my research the moment I realized how late I was, or not have procrastinated on it at all. The entire situation is just a result of me acting like a complete moron and failing to be a functional adult. Of course I know this. And while I really do appreciate any answer I can get, the hostility isn't necessary. I'm already judging myself harder than anyone else possibly could. I get it, it's ridiculous. I'm ridiculous. Painfully aware of this and not thrilled about it either. I'm just trying to prevent my life from being ruined because of it.
Once you realized your mistake did you start saving the money so you could repay them in a lump sum?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Depending on what state you are located, you could have severe issues. Hostility? I am the ONLY attorney who has answered you. I deal with these issues. YOU can face perjury charges (in Ohio that is a felony) and you can be evicted. Hey but continue being a jerk and say I am being hostile. I was BEING HONEST. You need FACTS. Because you don't seem to care about the reality of the situation.

Semiotic

The housing authority could try to charge you for the back rent that could have been charged if there had been proper reporting. They may also try to charge you interest or a late payment penalty on the unpaid amount.

The housing authority could try to evict you for failure to properly report your income. You may be able to prevent your eviction in court if the failure to properly report an income increase was for good cause or the amount of the unpaid rent is relatively small in comparison to the rent that normally would have been paid.
Thanks so much. I appreciate the straightforward answer. I have a couple other questions if that's (hopefully) alright with you? They're bound to reveal how clueless I am about all of this, but I guess that's already been rightfully established. As awful as the other consequences are, I'm most worried about being charged with fraud. Is it likely I'll be arrested for this? Luckily the one responsible thing I did was calculate and keep the amount I'd have owed in rent each month, so I do have it on hand when necessary. Hopefully that helps. I imagine there's zero chance of them not catching the previous two months once they know about it as well? I know that would be a huge stretch to hope for, and I don't plan on falsely reporting it or anything because it would be ridiculous to depend on sheer luck, but I am curious nonetheless.

Lastly, I know this is just me grasping at straws here, but I have a pretty good rapport with the property managers. They know of a few personal issues I have that definitely contribute to the (admittedly) poor handling of this whole scenario and have been very understanding and supportive about it in the past. I filled out some paperwork just today specifying that I wasn't receiving assistance. Terrible decision that I didn't have time to properly rationalize. I don't know if they've sent the forms in yet. In the unlikely event they allow me to change it, is there any chance it could make a difference, or by some miracle I could work things out with the property managers before it goes to the housing authority? So sorry for the bombardment of questions, I just want to educate myself on this as much as humanly possible.

Semiotic

Depending on what state you are located, you could have severe issues. Hostility? I am the ONLY attorney who has answered you. I deal with these issues. YOU can face perjury charges (in Ohio that is a felony) and you can be evicted. Hey but continue being a jerk and say I am being hostile. I was BEING HONEST. You need FACTS. Because you don't seem to care about the reality of the situation.
I do care, and if you really did mean well then I apologize for getting defensive. I know the situation doesn't exactly paint me in the best light. And of course this is the internet, where there's no shortage of people who only come to these kinds of threads to shun people for doing something unethical. Hopefully you know what I mean and how I could misinterpret it that way. I honestly am sorry if that's not the case. You're right though, I do need facts. If you have any, I'd love to hear them if you're still willing. I'm in Illinois.

Last edited:

reenzz

Do you have an assigned case worker? If so, you should consult with him/her ASAP. Depending on the amount you owe, can be arrested and charge with welfare fraud.

Semiotic

Do you have an assigned case worker? If so, you should consult with him/her ASAP. Depending on the amount you owe, can be arrested and charge with welfare fraud.
I don't, sadly. I've only recently applied and I haven't been assigned one yet. I could make an appointment with human services, but as far as I know the case worker would be random. I'm honestly terrified that I'd just be outing myself and getting the same punishment, but just speeding up the process. But I guess it has to be done? I have all the money set aside and waiting to be given back, I just wish there were a way to do it without incriminating myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">