• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dizzy1463

What is the name of your state? What is the name of you state? Florida I have a failure to appear when I did not know I had a court case coming up my name is spelled wrong in the system and I was never sent notification how can I fix this I don't want to go to jail

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? What is the name of you state? Florida I have a failure to appear when I did not know I had a court case coming up my name is spelled wrong in the system and I was never sent notification how can I fix this I don't want to go to jail
I suggest you consult with a criminal defense attorney.

FlyingRon

Once you are charged, it's incumbent on you to keep track of your appearance dates. The notifications are courtesies and even the online look up of case information is specifically disclaimed about being fully reliable.

As JB points out, your best bet would be to have your lawyer arrange a new appearance and squash any warrant that might have been issued.

Were you issued a notice to appear by a police officer?

FlyingRon

Most likely he received one (it doesn't necessarily come from a police officer, especially since this is a drug investigation). However, in many areas it's almost a guarantee that the appearance date will change (rarely earlier than the date on the notice).

Most likely he received one (it doesn't necessarily come from a police officer, especially since this is a drug investigation). However, in many areas it's almost a guarantee that the appearance date will change (rarely earlier than the date on the notice).
Who else can issue a notice to appear?

FlyingRon

I guess you're right, sorry about that. If the charges stem from the prosecutors office, it's not going to be the "notice to appear." However, not all charges stem from notices to appear (which was the point I was trying to make).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">