• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to perform contract work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

md4377

What is the name of your state? WI

I have contracted with a landscape company for work to be done at my home. We paid $2100 down at contract signing on 9/2/2003 for work to begin the next day. The work still has not begun. Because of work delays the company said they would refund my money in full. That was 3 weeks ago and 2 "the check is in the mail" ago. After checking further, this person has at least 55 civil judgments against him since 1993. My guess is I am never going to see the money. Does it pay to file a claim in small claims court to at least have an unsecured claim? Even if I do win a judgement, is there any way to secure a claim or force payment (ie. against the home he owns). From what I see, he is still on parole for several felony counts in the late 1990's. He claimed bankruptcy in 2001, so I don't think he can get out of his money troubles that way, for a while. Thanks very much for any help you can provide. Also, any suggestions on how I can prevent this person from doing this to anyone else.

PS. Yes I know I should have done a backgroung check before paying him, even if he did a great job for my neighbor (my wife has already pointed that out several hundred times!)

HomeGuru

md4377 said:
What is the name of your state? WI

I have contracted with a landscape company for work to be done at my home. We paid $2100 down at contract signing on 9/2/2003 for work to begin the next day. The work still has not begun. Because of work delays the company said they would refund my money in full. That was 3 weeks ago and 2 "the check is in the mail" ago. After checking further, this person has at least 55 civil judgments against him since 1993. My guess is I am never going to see the money. Does it pay to file a claim in small claims court to at least have an unsecured claim? Even if I do win a judgement, is there any way to secure a claim or force payment (ie. against the home he owns). From what I see, he is still on parole for several felony counts in the late 1990's. He claimed bankruptcy in 2001, so I don't think he can get out of his money troubles that way, for a while. Thanks very much for any help you can provide. Also, any suggestions on how I can prevent this person from doing this to anyone else.

PS. Yes I know I should have done a backgroung check before paying him, even if he did a great job for my neighbor (my wife has already pointed that out several hundred times!)
**A: and here is another time. Before shelling out thousands of dollars to a stranger contractor, do a backgound check first.

M

md4377

No **** - Sherlock. I see you can read. You must be a lawyer or something. If you don't have any legal advice, save it.

JETX

Damn, here I was... getting ready to write a lengthy solution to your problem and help you get your money back.... then you decided to crap in your messkit by insulting a senior forum member.

So, go out and hire a local attorney. At least then he will be paid to listen to your crap and insults.
Have a hap-hap-happy day!!:D

M

md4377

My apologies. I see you do get what you pay for. I'm certain your free advice would be worth that. I now have a clear understanding why you have time to sit and follow this forum rather than generating billable hours. Thanks in advance for your next witty reply.

HomeGuru

md4377 said:
No **** - Sherlock. I see you can read. You must be a lawyer or something. If you don't have any legal advice, save it.
**A: yes I can indeed read. Because you posted something to the effect of a backgroung check. And I stated that you should have done a background check.
That is why I am an attorney and you're not. And I deem this the next witty reply to your sh*tty reply.

M

md4377

And I'm sure your very good at what you do. Unfortunately, from reading some of your other advice, you seem more like a bored college student than a practicing attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">