• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to provide proof of insurance or registration... suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tontin

Long story short i didnt have that paperwork cuz i was buying the car from a friend the car was insured and still registered to him all i had was the bill of sale stating that info.. i didnt get arested i got a ticket for a u-turn before the light and i don’t remember if the officer turned it into a red light violation..that was just about 20 years ago and in California im not in that state and was just wondering since its been that long will there be any problem here in arizona.. the first year i was here the lady at the dmv didnt even look it up she just stated to go back to cali to fix it.. i dont want to go back to California if i dont have to..

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If California has revoked or suspended your license then that revocation/suspension will show up on the DMV systems of every state that is a member of the Driver's License Compact (DLC), which is pretty much every state including Arizona. Under the DLC Arizona is obligated to honor the California suspension or revocation and refuse to grant you a license. What that generally forces you to do is contact the California DMV to see what you need to do to get the license suspension or revocation lifted. Once California removes the revocation or suspension then Arizona is free to give you a license, assuming you meet its requirements. While technically there may be an option to get a license in Arizona if your license was revoked in California and the revocation occurred more than a year ago, you'd need to litigate that in court to have a shot, and even then it's not guaranteed. That may cost you more time and money to do than fixing the problem in California even if you do end up succeeding. You'd need to discuss that with an Arizona attorney who handles license denial challenges in Arizona to see if you'd have any shot there. But I think you'd be better off just sucking it up and contacting the DMV in California to find out what you have to do to get the suspension/revocation there lifted.

Tontin

If California has revoked or suspended your license then that revocation/suspension will show up on the DMV systems of every state that is a member of the Driver's License Compact (DLC), which is pretty much every state including Arizona. Under the DLC Arizona is obligated to honor the California suspension or revocation and refuse to grant you a license. What that generally forces you to do is contact the California DMV to see what you need to do to get the license suspension or revocation lifted. Once California removes the revocation or suspension then Arizona is free to give you a license, assuming you meet its requirements. While technically there may be an option to get a license in Arizona if your license was revoked in California and the revocation occurred more than a year ago, you'd need to litigate that in court to have a shot, and even then it's not guaranteed. That may cost you more time and money to do than fixing the problem in California even if you do end up succeeding. You'd need to discuss that with an Arizona attorney who handles license denial challenges in Arizona to see if you'd have any shot there. But I think you'd be better off just sucking it up and contacting the DMV in California to find out what you have to do to get the suspension/revocation there lifted.
Sounds good , i did get info that states depending on the reason for the suspension it could be 3 years or 10 to get it out of your record and then age n remittance determines the pay... so its over 3 years all i have to do is give them the cali license ,eye test, and show them a couple more things to proof verification and pay fees...

FlyingRon

Even in the few states that are not signatories of the DLC, they are obliged to the National Driver Register (NDR). If you are marked ineligible in one state in the DNR, you won't be able to obtain/renew one elsewhere in the US.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Even in the few states that are not signatories of the DLC, they are obliged to the National Driver Register (NDR). If you are marked ineligible in one state in the DNR, you won't be able to obtain/renew one elsewhere in the US.
I disagree. The National Driver Register (NDR) provides information to the states but there is no obligation for a state to act on the information contained in the NDR unless that state's law requires it, either as a member of the DLC or otherwise.

FlyingRon

You let me know which of the 50 states (and DC) that are participating states in the NDR don't act on the information. Yes, the NDR Act doesn't mandate participation or what you do when with the requested data, I'm not aware of any that won't act on a NELG flag. It may not force a suspension/revocation of an existing license, but it bars issuance of a new one.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You let me know which of the 50 states (and DC) that are participating states in the NDR don't act on the information. Yes, the NDR Act doesn't mandate participation or what you do when with the requested data, I'm not aware of any that won't act on a NELG flag. It may not force a suspension/revocation of an existing license, but it bars issuance of a new one.
Your previous post, which was oddly phrased, stated that:

(Bolding adding.) The word obliged would mean that the states are obligated, i.e. they are required, by the NDR statute to act on the information they get from the NDR. My point was that the law does not obligate the states to do that, as you have confirmed here. Perhaps you meant to use some other word than obliged, because as I say as written it was oddly phrased.

I've not checked the few states that are not members of the DLC to determine when they act on the NDR data and when they don't. But they need to have a statute or regulation in place that allows the state to act on it. The DMV has to follow the state law on issuing licenses; it cannot simply decide for itself who gets a license and who doesn't. It may be that in at least most circumstances every state would deny a license to someone suspended or revoked in some other state. But as each state's law is different I won't simply assume that they all do in every single case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">