• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Yield to crossing guard that wasn't there

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jite

Were you going the speed limit or the school zone limit?
Pretty sure it was 20-25MPH. The ticket says safe speed on it. I'd have to find the exact ticket because the copy they gave me on the day of was pretty faded, like they didnt write hard enough. This was in May 2019.

Jite

Did you really mean to say that ou can't hear a whistle and step on the brake in a 5 second span of time?
No I meant to say hear the whistle and come to a complete stop in 5 seconds. The time to hear the whistle and step on the brake is probably under 2 seconds.

ajkroy

There really is no difference, at least not based on how you worded this question
Good point, Zigner.

I think many people just don't know that a lit sign in a school zone means a significantly reduced speed; this is based solely on the number of honks and one-finger salutes I receive when driving through such zones on the way to work in the morning during the school year.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You really ought not talk about time and stopping distances, etc. At 25 mph you are traveling 90 feet per second and your vehicle should be able to come to a full stop in less than 2 seconds on damp roads. Add in the average reaction time and you're looking at a total of well under 4 seconds to stop.

I'm not saying anything negative about your driving. I'm simply pointing out that your estimates of times required are way off and absolutely do not help you.

As an aside...quite some time ago I found an empty road and, with a passenger next to me for safety, closed my eyes for about 5 seconds while traveling at about 50 mph. 5 seconds is an ETERNITY.

Jite

Good point, Zigner.

I think many people just don't know that a lit sign in a school zone means a significantly reduced speed; this is based solely on the number of honks and one-finger salutes I receive when driving through such zones on the way to work in the morning during the school year.
some of the signs here say when lit and children present lol. there is one sign on another road next to a high school that has that kind of sign but they dont turn it off when there is no school.

Jite

You really ought not talk about time and stopping distances, etc. At 25 mph you are traveling 90 feet per second and your vehicle should be able to come to a full stop in less than 2 seconds on damp roads. Add in the average reaction time and you're looking at a total of well under 4 seconds to stop.

I'm not saying anything negative about your driving. I'm simply pointing out that your estimates of times required are way off and absolutely do not help you.

As an aside...quite some time ago I found an empty road and, with a passenger next to me for safety, closed my eyes for about 5 seconds while traveling at about 50 mph. 5 seconds is an ETERNITY.
Yeah I don't know if I'm being clear but the thing is I think the whistle blowing was before they entered so I was already in the cross walk at that time. They hadn't even started walking.

Jite

So my entire court time argument will be: Crossing guard was not in the crosswalk at all, they were still on the sidewalk when the whistle was blown. No children were crossing at the time (at least that I'm aware) it was an adult crossing the street. I braked when I heard the whistle but proceeded after checking to see if they were in the crosswalk and since they weren't and I was I just continued on at the posted speed. Then I would like to ask if the court has any photo or video evidence or if they have any witnesses besides the officer and if they don't I'd like them to dismiss for lack of evidence by the prosecution.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The first part - sure. The second part - not a chance. The officer's testimony is plenty to convict because the officer is unbiased, whereas you are (naturally) very biased.

Jite

The first part - sure. The second part - not a chance. The officer's testimony is plenty to convict because the officer is unbiased, whereas you are (naturally) very biased.
How is an officer unbiased? They write tickets to make money. How do we know he is not just mistaken? He has an interest to write tickets because it makes money.

Jite

sigh...A police officer issues ticket to enforce the law.
Well I meant traffic tickets...I've never seen a ticket for a traffic offense that wasn't mostly money. Unless it was something like not even stopping at all for a red light (as in just speeding without slowing down at all). Even speeding is pretty subject.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">