• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fair Spousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Thank you for your comments!

I would appreciate some opionions on what would be considered a fair amount and duration of Spousal Support in this situation.

Marriage of 24 years. We are both 44. She makes 20k, I make 45k. Children married.
She decides she no longer wants to be married and leaves.

Judge informs me that I have an (obligation) to continue to support her until she remarries or dies. 50/50 property division. She takes 1/2 of my pension, yet when I start collecting my half, she will be entitled to half of my half in addition to her half?

Please honestly help me with the rational behind this: If I have this obligation, what is her obligation to the marriage??? Looks like another Ohio Lottery. It would appear Indiana has an answer to this injustice.

Comments and philosophy please. I only want to be fair!

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are in Ohio. At 24 years she may be entitled to long term or permanent alimony. Indiana does not matter as you are not in alimony. You are looking at approximately 12.5k a year in alimony. What county are you in?

Ohiogal, Your comments are appreciated.

While I realize I'm not in Indiana, the point was the hugh disparity in possible awards less than 20 miles from here. I appreciate a woman's perspective on this, and have so far heard nothing but disgust from women who work hard to support themselves or their families. In would seem that this is a slap in the face to them.

Indiana, I believe, treats Spousal support the same as Ohio treats welfare. Three years support to get on your feet, and then you are expected to support yourself.

We both worked hard to support our children for 22 years. But, they do not expect us to continue to support them for the rest of their lives after they decided to leave home. And, they didn't leave with 50% of the assets.

Last edited:

LdiJ

While I realize I'm not in Indiana, the point was the hugh disparity in possible awards less than 20 miles from here. I appreciate a woman's perspective on this, and have so far heard nothing but disgust from women who work hard to support themselves or their families. In would seem that this is a slap in the face to them.

Indiana, I believe, treats Spousal support the same as Ohio treats welfare. Three years support to get on your feet, and then you are expected to support yourself.

We both worked hard to support our children for 22 years. But, they do not expect us to continue to support them for the rest of their lives after they decided to leave home. And, they didn't leave with 50% of the assets.
The bolded is not correct. You could easily end up with the same result in Indiana after a 24 year marriage.

It appears that the judge has already ruled on the issue, however if things are not final, then I would recommend that you try to address what happens when you retire.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I gave you the LEGAL perspective on this. You apparently decided that the way things were during the 24 year marriage was fine with you.

Yes, Ohiogal, you were right on the legal perspective and I appreciate your input. $12000 a year spousal support for the rest of her life. As far as the marriage, if, it would matter. It was much better than most, in her words, until the children left, and she decided she wanted to explore other opportunities. No, hard feelings either way.

However, Ohio law states that during the marriage both parties are considered to be contributing to the marriage equally. Therefore, 50/50 property division split, regardless of who provided what. Fair enough.

Now still the question: IF I have an OBLIGATION to support her for life after the divorce.
What is her residual obligation to the marriage???

Her life expectancy is another 33 years. Meaning the total spousal support award is over $400,000. The system is severely broken. Child support is off at 18, because they are very capable of supporting themselves, yet a young, healthy 44 year old adult can't take care of themselves for 33 years??????????

This is a slap in the face to every person who is working to support themselves or their family. Penalize a good, responsible supporting spouse and reward someone who chooses to explore themselves while being a leech on society.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">