• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stod2378

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My sister is the executor of my father's will. The estate is to be split equally amoung 5 siblings. The executor advanced $20,000 to one of my other sister's to buy a home. I am also buying a home and would like an advance for a down payment of $15,000. The executor refuses to do this. Can she do this for one heir and not another?

Dandy Don

Did the $20K come from an estate account or from the executor's own personal funds?

It is not wise to make advance payouts to heirs since the executor has an obligation to make sure that estate debts, taxes and funeral expenses are paid first before the distribution is made and approved by the court. If she doles out too much money, other heirs or valid estate expenses might not get properly paid.

Please exhibit a little bit of patience--surely you can wait a couple of months to purchase a house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">