• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fake doctors note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tori-Tori

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Indiana

What are the possible consequences for turning in a fake doctors note? There was not a real doctors name used or a real clinics name used. It was an email so nothing was ever signed either. Also there is nothing to gain out of this other than keeping the job. No PTO time was used during the absent days.

quincy

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Indiana

What are the possible consequences for turning in a fake doctors note? There was not a real doctors name used or a real clinics name used. It was an email so nothing was ever signed either. Also there is nothing to gain out of this other than keeping the job. No PTO time was used during the absent days.
If the doctor's note is discovered to be fake, the job you are trying to protect will probably be lost.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But, when the falsity is discovered (note that I do not say IF, I say WHEN) not only is that job gone for good, but since your soon-to-be-former employer may LEGALLY tell prospective employers why you were fired, you may have trouble finding another one.

Just Blue

But, when the falsity is discovered (note that I do not say IF, I say WHEN) not only is that job gone for good, but since your soon-to-be-former employer may LEGALLY tell prospective employers why you were fired, you may have trouble finding another one.
And would OP be eligible for UI?? I'm guessing no. OP would not be eligible for UI....

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
There was not a real doctors name used or a real clinics name used....Also there is nothing to gain out of this other than keeping the job.
So long as that part is true and assuming this was a private employer then no fraud or other crime was committed and the only risk is losing the job and having a tainted reference for future jobs. If you are a government employee, though, that answer might change.

quincy

This sounds like -
IC 35-43-5-3.8. Synthetic identity deception
A synthetic identity is a combination of fake data (e.g., fake name) with real data (e.g., a person's social security number) created and used with an intent to defraud.

Based on what has been described here, creating the fake doctor's note was foolish but does not appear to be criminal or rise to the felony level of synthetic identity deception.

But it can get Tori-Tori fired.

Here is a link to IC 35-43-5-3.8:
https://law.justia.com/codes/indiana/2017/title-35/article-43/chapter-5/section-35-43-5-3.8/

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I am curious. How would the answer change for a government employee?
Because false information submitted to their employer might amount to a crime or offense. For example, for federal employees it could amount to falsification of official records, which federal regulations define in detail as follows:

Employees shall not intentionally or with willful disregard make false or misleading statements, orally or in writing, in connection with any matter of official interest. Matters of official interest include, but are not limited to, the following: Official reports and any other official information upon which the Department, the Congress, other government agencies, or the public may act or rely; transactions with the public, government agencies or other government employees; application forms and other forms that serve as a basis for any personnel action; vouchers; time and attendance records, including leave records; work reports of any nature or accounts of any kind; affidavits; record of or data concerning any matter relating to or connected with an employee's duties; personnel records; and reports of any moneys or securities received, held or paid to, for or on behalf of the United States.
31 CFR § 0.211. The key difference here between the private employee and the public one being that falsification of government records can be criminal while generally speaking falsification of a private company's records is not generally in and of itself criminal.

quincy

Ah. Okay. Thanks for answering my question, TM.

It doesn't appear to me that the fake doctor's note will lead to any criminal action regardless of employer. I just see a (good?) possibility of job termination if the note is discovered to be a fake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">