• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fake ID-worth getting a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluedevilmatt

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am 20 years old and got busted by an undercover cop buying beer with my bro's ID. I have never been arrested for drug's/alcohol, so the cop told me that if I just went to court I would get it cleaned from my record after 50 hours of community service and a $300 fine. However, some friends have told me that if I get a lawyer, I can get the community service down to under 10 hours and the fine lowered significantly. Basically, I just wanna get off as cheaply as possible (I dont mind community service so much), so would it be worth getting a lawyer?

bluedevilmatt

Right now money is more important to me--I would rather do more community service if it would save me a couple hundred dollars in lawyer fees.

Crazed98

bluedevilmatt said:
Right now money is more important to me--I would rather do more community service if it would save me a couple hundred dollars in lawyer fees.

You do know your time spent doing community service can be used working at a job making money.

Happy Trails

Okay, it is a class 3 misdemeanor since you are 20 and it was a malt beverage.

Possessing fraudulent identification can be punishable by up to 120 days in jail or by one year without a license. :eek:

Last edited:

bluedevilmatt

I did not know that I could make money doing community service. That doesnt sound so bad.

I know there can be harsh punishments for fake IDs, but since it is my first offense everyone has told me if I just show up in court I will get 50 hours and $300 fine, so that's why I am wondering if after getting a lawyer I wont just end up spending more.

Happy Trails

bluedevilmatt said:
I did not know that I could make money doing community service. That doesnt sound so bad.

I know there can be harsh punishments for fake IDs, but since it is my first offense everyone has told me if I just show up in court I will get 50 hours and $300 fine, so that's why I am wondering if after getting a lawyer I wont just end up spending more.
The money you COULD be making, that Crazed98 is referring to, is by getting a job.

Crazed98

bluedevilmatt said:

"Everyone" has been wrong before it is better to be safe than sorry.

And as Trails added I meant get a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">