• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falling concrete from landlord's building

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tripp11

What is the name of your state? Indiana

In a nutshell, parked my vehicle on the street next to my apartment building in downtown Indianapolis. Overnight, a large piece of painted concrete fell off of the building and hit my hood on my car. The concrete hit my hood and exploded everywhere around my car. There is no doubt the concrete fell from the building as three stories up, one of the bay windows right over my car has some of the painted concrete broken away from the window and that's the only place it's missing.

Damage approximately $1,500.

I took two rolls of film of all damage and concrete around my car and the concrete missing from the bay window. Also kept large pieces of concrete which was left around my car.

Apartment complex personnel are already balking on admitting it came from THEIR building.

Doesn't their property insurance cover this?????

JETX

"Doesn't their property insurance cover this?????"
*** Only if the falling concrete was a result of their negligence in not taking care of a KNOWN hazard. Simply, if they knew of the weakened or damaged concrete (or should have known) and didn't take steps to prevent it, then they would not be liable.

Contact your insurance carrier. Also, continue trying to negotiate with them. They may decide to settle.

HomeGuru

tripp11 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

In a nutshell, parked my vehicle on the street next to my apartment building in downtown Indianapolis. Overnight, a large piece of painted concrete fell off of the building and hit my hood on my car. The concrete hit my hood and exploded everywhere around my car. There is no doubt the concrete fell from the building as three stories up, one of the bay windows right over my car has some of the painted concrete broken away from the window and that's the only place it's missing.

Damage approximately $1,500.

I took two rolls of film of all damage and concrete around my car and the concrete missing from the bay window. Also kept large pieces of concrete which was left around my car.

Apartment complex personnel are already balking on admitting it came from THEIR building.

Doesn't their property insurance cover this?????
**A: did you file a police report and a claim under own your insurance?

T

tripp11

A police report was not filed as I was informed by the non-emergency dispatcher that the police would not come and take a police report for non-criminal activity on private property.......not really buying that but oh well.

I contacted my insurance company and they said to follow up with the rental property management company first. Hell, not sure what I pay insurance premiums for if I'm supposed to do all the legwork on a claim...but oh well. Just my luck this weekend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">