• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Assault Accusation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeorgeChavez

What is the name of your state (Texas)?

My wife's and I were having a verbal argument almost two years ago and my wife's friend (who was at the house) called the police and falsely accused me of hitting my wife. My daughter, my friend and wife all told the police that her friend lied and falsely accused me but the police took me to jail anyway and charged me with assaulting my wife. I hired a lawyer and for the last two years the lawyer has been "working" on my case. I have gone to court countless times only to be told to go home, they don't need me or there were scheduling conflicts. The lawyer will not call me about my case but will only call my wife to talk to her about it and tells my wife to pass me the messages and refuses to speak to me when I try to get on the phone. For some time now I have let it go, listening to my wife and taking her advice about letting the lawyer do her job but I now feel nothing has been done and I am being taken advantage of. I check in every Monday with the bondsman, I pay my fines, I pay my lawyers retainer fees but nothing has been done. It's boon lingering for almost two years now and i'm at my whits end. The lawyer is again asking for more money, saying she is in court for me every day and I need to compensate her for her time. I don't want to pay her another dime but I need a lawyer and cannot afford a new one. What should I do?

davew128

Why are you paying fines if you haven't been convicted? Why is your attorney calling your wife (who is technically a prosecution witness) and not you?

GeorgeChavez

The lawyer calls my wife because the last time she called me I accused her of not doing her job and she got offended and said she would no longer talk to me and only my wife and then she hung up on me. I am paying what the lawyer tells me to pay and doing what she tells me to do. My issue now is, I know she is not doing her job and taking advantage of me but I can no longer afford to hire new counsel. I'm just not sure how to proceed. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and it's escalated way too far now. This began back in November of 2012. I have never even been before a judge.

Just Blue

The lawyer calls my wife because the last time she called me I accused her of not doing her job and she got offended and said she would no longer talk to me and only my wife and then she hung up on me. I am paying what the lawyer tells me to pay and doing what she tells me to do. My issue now is, I know she is not doing her job and taking advantage of me but I can no longer afford to hire new counsel. I'm just not sure how to proceed. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and it's escalated way too far now. This began back in November of 2012. I have never even been before a judge.
You need a different attorney. And as stealth said...Get an itemized bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">