• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false claims of a refund sent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Todd T

What is the name of your state? Iowa. $650

July 8th 2019 my son sent a money gram to purchase an automobile part from another state (Iowa). We live in NE. After several weeks the person sent him a falsified proof of delivery through Fedex. I called fedex and verified this. My son and I went round and round with this person for a couple more weeks with him claiming to re-ship the item. Always too busy, didnt ship it. After a few more weeks we asked for a refund. He then claimed to have sent a money order. After 10 days and talking to our postmaster, still nothing. We then asked him to cancel the M/O and send the money again (a different way). He then told us we had to wait 30 days after he canceled it for him to get his refund. After the 30 days I threatend a small claims suit and he issued my son half his money back. We have persistently kept asking for the other half. He has since sent screen shots of another money gram issued and now claims there is a problem with the online transaction. Today Oct 29th he claims he has proof he sent the remaining money and is trying to cut ties. I'm ready to file suit.

What type of judgment can i seek and is there any way to tie a lien or something with teeth to it?

adjusterjack

What type of judgment can i seek
If your son is over 18, you don't seek anything. He does. The type of judgment he seeks is one that says the other party pays him $650 plus court costs. Though getting a judgment doesn't guarantee collecting the money.

is there any way to tie a lien or something with teeth to it?
Not until he gets the judgment. Then (depending on Iowa law which I don't have time to look up) it could be recorded in the defendant's county and become a lien on any real estate that he owns. There are, of course, other methods of collection like wage garnishment and bank levy.

Todd T

Yes, my son will have to file and he will collect (19yo). I'll read Iowa statutes and see what I can figure out.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">