• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False identification in accident claim inflating insurance rates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

draco

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

At the end of 2020, another insurance company filed an auto accident claim against me with my insurance company. Apparently they identified me in LexisNexis based on an old phone number of mine that the driver had given their policy holder. The name wasn't even similar.

I provided evidence to my insurance company that my vehicle wasn't in an accident, I wasn't driving that day, and nobody else was using my car. I also reached out to the other insurance company, and they said I had been incorrectly identified. The claim was denied.

Last month, my renewal rate went up substantially. I shopped around for new insurance, which was mostly even more expensive. On Saturday I got a letter from one of the other companies showing that claim in my LexisNexis report. I was told by my current insurance company that the claim did not effect my renewal rate. However, it does seem to be effecting the rates from other companies.

I never knew there was even a claim in LexisNexis until now. My insurance company told me to contact them to have it removed. Was the other insurance company required to remove the false claim they filed? To me it seems they were extremely negligent in filing the claim and leaving it in LexisNexis after they knew it was false.

Thank you.

adjusterjack

I was told by my current insurance company that the claim did not effect my renewal rate.
Inflation has been driving up insurance rates across the board.

When my rates went up last year, I only found one or two companies with slightly lower rates, every other company was much higher.

I never knew there was even a claim in LexisNexis until now. My insurance company told me to contact them to have it removed.
Then go to the website and properly dispute the item.

Several sources of information at:

lexis nexis dispute process at DuckDuckGo

Was the other insurance company required to remove the false claim they filed? To me it seems they were extremely negligent in filing the claim and leaving it in LexisNexis after they knew it was false.
You're in their rear-view mirror. "Extremely negligent" and "knew it was false" is emotional hype that won't do you any good. The report was generated upon information and belief when the claim was filed. Nothing negligent or false.

It's up to you now. Self-preservation is nobody's business but your own.

draco

You're in their rear-view mirror. "Extremely negligent" and "knew it was false" is emotional hype that won't do you any good. The report was generated upon information and belief when the claim was filed. Nothing negligent or false.

It's up to you now. Self-preservation is nobody's business but your own.
I've filed a dispute with LexisNexis. I've also asked them what their policy is regarding companies removing information they determine is wrong.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">