• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False police report 148.5

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

richard1966

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I didn't see a section that fit my question.

When my friend was pulled over for a dwi I panicked and called 911 and made false report of a shooting around the corner in hopes of distracting police. I hung up after a short while, realizing the stupidity of what I was doing. The police tracked me a few minutes later and arrested me. I was cited for a 148.5. I have no prior conviction, first arrest. What is the usual procedure and penalty?

I live in Contra Costa County, California.

CdwJava

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I didn't see a section that fit my question.

When my friend was pulled over for a dwi I panicked and called 911 and made false report of a shooting around the corner in hopes of distracting police. I hung up after a short while, realizing the stupidity of what I was doing. The police tracked me a few minutes later and arrested me. I was cited for a 148.5. I have no prior conviction, first arrest. What is the usual procedure and penalty?

I live in Contra Costa County, California.
It is generally punishable by up to 6 months in jail and up to $1,000 fine (plus fees and assessments).

You will have to go to court. The first hearing will be the arraignment (assuming you are an adult). If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you at that time.

This was an extremely stupid act on your part ... had anyone been injured or killed as a result of your actions you could have been charged in relation to that injury or death. Very dumb and very dangerous.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">